Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 best early season scent >

best early season scent

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best early season scent

Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best early season scent

Deer dander is great because it is natural and hopefully native to your area.
I've heard people rolling around in the dirt/mud prior to a hunt, and I have no reason to doubt that might help. Put some vegetation from where you hunt in there, it can't hurt (except moisture). But the smell of the earth scent stuff stands out to me. What will the deer do with that smell? I dunno. As was said earlier, if it is associated with humans by a mature deer, they will likely avoid it.

Has anybody tried the old pantyhose smashed up fruit thing (and no I am not referring to a wild college party )? I have a persimmon tree and was thinking about getting some overripe persimmons, smashing them, putting them in pantyhose and hanging them from a tree. I think I'm gonna try that and see if I can't russle up a bow doe.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

i forgot to mention, if you happen to use a drag with your scent, remember..."a deer can follow the trail in two directions". Had that happen to me two years ago. I layed out a scent trail and a doe came on it with her nose to the ground. She followed it the opposite way of me. I was hoping she would turn around and try the other way, but..she didnt.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:45 PM

I thinkI'll trysomething different this year. I always store my gear in an airtight container until I get to my hunting spot. Do you think putting cedar chips in the storage container might help.Cedar can be used for odor and moisture absorbtion(pets, golf shoes, etc).
And bucks like rubbing on cedar trees. So why not smell like one?
Any thoughts??? Anyone tried this?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Why would anyone use urine as a cover scent? Animals pee to mark territory or more importantly when something scares the piss out of them. Urine is a BAD thing around your stand. It is always perceived with alarm.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I hunt sage brush country and I use sage as a cover scent. I just go get some and rub it in the cloths. This works for me.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KS227

Why would anyone use urine as a cover scent? Animals pee to mark territory or more importantly when something scares the piss out of them. Urine is a BAD thing around your stand. It is always perceived with alarm.
??

Everything in the woods has to pee some time...