Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting TV Shows - likes/dislikes? >

Bowhunting TV Shows - likes/dislikes?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting TV Shows - likes/dislikes?

Old 06-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting TV Shows - likes/dislikes?

I've gotten to where I won't even watch a show that has a dad/son thing going on any more. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them is someone taking their son to "XYZ Ranch" and putting him a box blind in full Realtree regalia.....and then wacing little Johnny take his 4th 140" whitetail.

I'm not jealous. I want nothing like that for my son, and I think it's sending the wrong signal. My wife actually mentioned the same thing to me (dislike for these shows of this kind) a while back.

To me....whether or not I watch a hunting show has EVERYTHING to do with the hosts' personality. There are some of those guys I wouldn't go into the next room to meet or hunt with. Others I try to watch all I can of them.

I mean this with 100% sincerity......1st choice of people to hunt with is....people I like...and like to be around. 2nd choice is.....somebody I might learn something from. 3rd choice would be somebody famous.....for 'whatever' reason.

There's likely people right here in this forum that have more whitetail deer knowledge than most of the yahoos we see on TV. All in all......I see more on TV (hunting-wise) that disappoints me.....than I do that gets my attention ina positive manner. I see more things that I wish I didn't......and I will probably stop watching 90% of them some day.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Rev:

THanks for that "MUZZY MOMENT".

Old 06-25-2007, 11:14 AM

Dislikes:
Staged Scenes when actually Hunting
Poor Shot choices (quartering toward etc Quick turnoff)
Making it look "easy"Be real.
Tacky product sponsor plugs. Just use the product, the viewer sees it
Guided "sit here and he will come out at 6 am" type hunts.

Informative. (Bedding areas, food source, why here, how etc)
Real things as they happen. Blood trailing the deer, finding it.
Commercial time shows why theproduct works and why it is better
Show that it does not always work out. Again, keeping it real.

Just not enough "how to" segments anymore. Need more of that.

IMHO

Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

As all of the others have said,I want it to be real,something I can relate to.Preferably public land,something where the hunter has done his own scouting and stand placement.I do want to know what went in to the scouting and the selection of stand site,the strategies used,the precautions taken etc..I also hate the infomercials or I just stepped out of a catalog type stuff.I would like to watch something where I actually felt I learned something.
Lastly upon the taking of an animal,my preference is for the hunter to show humility and act like they have been there before,the balance between being pleased and thankful versus doing cartwheels and yee ha's over the carcass.A little bit of enthusiasm is fine but to much is acting like a rookie and not very respectful of the animal.JMO.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love when they show the plans for the setup how they setup(IE Dury Bros Hang to Kill DVD)

Its great when they show why the hung there, and would love to see more arial photos and topos of the hang site.

Its annoying when they talk about this draw, that ridge, and you have know Idea what they are talking about.

I'd like to be able to learn something when I watch... Rather than just see them kill!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

It's also annoying (to me).....when a grown man acts like a giddy teenager when they know the cameras are rolling (i.e. after a 'kill' shot). I've got NO problems with anything "genuine"....but some of the displays I see on these shows are to the point of disrespectful to the game.

I know we've had this discussion here before...and that everyone doesn't agree. But I think it looks ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with GMMAT about going to a game ranch, probably with high fences, and people saying "I hunted hard for four days". You hunt hard for a season and/or you work your *** off, before the season to be able to get that shot on a trophy early in the season.

I try to look at this from the perspective of someone new to the sport. If I'm told on every show that I have to go to "XYZ" ranch, that unless I have a Mathews Switchback and all of the Scent Lok that I can wear, and that I can only shoot bucks that are B&C 165 and above, I will lose interest very quickly. I exagerate a little but not much.

I like shows that aren't infomercials. Real people hunting under conditions where they have had to do all the leg work of planting food plots and scouting, for example. I like to see people take does and bucks that may not be 165 B&C but they are trophies to that person. I like seeing excitement by the person(s) who are hunting. I like to see people getting skunked every once in a while; after all it is hunting and don't you get skunked too?

I can't say that there are that many shows that fit the bill. I won't mention names of those that I like and those that I don't.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Sounds like we all want the same things. Real and informative.

I want to learn something. Bottom line. Entertainment is secondary.
We Be keepsin it Real would be a dandy title of a show.

We've all been there. Most are just not real and I cant keepfrom saying somethig out loud. Others in my home wonder aboutthe problem. girls.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The others covered a lot of them, so I'll just point out the main thing that really, really, really hacks me off... I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT when the camera cuts away from the deer before he topples over.... Call me morbid, but that's one of the most satisfying parts of the hunt for me; don't cheat me out of the experience.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Justin,

Isn't WKP coming out with a new video, or is their only video "Beyond the Kill?"

Also, wasn't there some free hat special with videos? Wondering if that is still going on, and how to claim at order.

Thanks, and agree with everyone else. I quit watching most of the shows on the Men's Channel. I don't know that I learned anything except all the products they were using and that ranches have large racked bucks.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting TV Shows - likes/dislikes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.