HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Which G5 broadhead is better? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/195334-g5-broadhead-better.html)

Patriot15 06-23-2007 02:38 PM

Which G5 broadhead is better?

I've been thinking about either the montec or striker. Which one would yall use?

Red Boar 06-23-2007 04:30 PM

RE: Which G5 broadhead is better?

I like the solid Montec design, but flight was not first rate for me and they are no where near sharp enough out of the package for me. I don't mind touching a blade up after use, but it better be razor sharp out of the package...I consider it laziness on the part of the manufacturer if it isn't.

the bees knees 06-23-2007 04:37 PM

Which is why you should dump G5 and go with Magnus!!!!
They are super strong, razor sharp out of package and fly like field tips (not just saying that, they really do). I accidentally shot a Magnus through a bail of hay and into a plastic wheelborrow, thing was all the way through one side of the plastic part, and poking into the next side! and it was still sharp... Thats when I knew I would always have a place for a 2 blade stinger.

the bees knees 06-23-2007 05:12 PM

Here we go, heres the very one that went through that thing.

Elkcrazy8 06-23-2007 05:22 PM

I use the montec g-5's. I like the full one piece design. On all 8 animals I took since last spring, the blades were in perfect shape after passthroughs and all kills left a ton of blood. I get great flight with them and have had no tuning issues. the g-5's would get my vote on everything from antelope to elk.

Red Boar 06-23-2007 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

I use the montec g-5's. I like the full one piece design. On all 8 animals I took since last spring, the blades were in perfect shape after passthroughs and all kills left a ton of blood. I get great flight with them and have had no tuning issues. the g-5's would get my vote on everything from antelope to elk.
I agree...great design, ultra strong and the flight issue was minimal. I just don't think it is my responsibility to put a good edge (meaning scalpel sharp) out of the package..that's one of the things I paid for. imho Then again, I am comparing them to the new Slick Tricks and the KING of Sharp...Silver Flames.

Bullet Hole Bailey 06-23-2007 10:48 PM

Yeah i like the Montecs but i ahvent tried the strikersso its hard for me to say

Elkcrazy8 06-24-2007 12:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

I agree...great design, ultra strong and the flight issue was minimal. I just don't think it is my responsibility to put a good edge (meaning scalpel sharp) out of the package..that's one of the things I paid for. imho Then again, I am comparing them to the new Slick Tricks and the KING of Sharp...Silver Flames.
red boar, the angle on the blade of the montecs is not quite as steep as the mentioned broadheads. they won't appear as sharp to the feel, but believe me, the edge is there, just doesn't curl as easy. I still hit the blades as I do any other. The results on animals have been devistating. There is another broadhead out there that I have seen awesome carnage with and that is the shuttle t-lock, several of my friends use them and I can't believe what they do to a big game animal.

I second your opinion on the silver flames. great head, big $. I like the 2 blade for many reasons, but now I like to use a 3 blade coc as the blood trails seem a little stronger, especially on bear that have a tough time leaving a blood trail.

Red Boar 06-24-2007 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

red boar, the angle on the blade of the montecs is not quite as steep as the mentioned broadheads. they won't appear as sharp to the feel, but believe me, the edge is there, just doesn't curl as easy. I still hit the blades as I do any other. The results on animals have been devistating. There is another broadhead out there that I have seen awesome carnage with and that is the shuttle t-lock, several of my friends use them and I can't believe what they do to a big game animal.

I second your opinion on the silver flames. great head, big $. I like the 2 blade for many reasons, but now I like to use a 3 blade coc as the blood trails seem a little stronger, especially on bear that have a tough time leaving a blood trail.
Good points all...thanks for the info on the Montecs, Elkcrazy...makes good sense. Also, best of luck this year.

BigBuck28 06-24-2007 11:13 AM

I was thinking about switching to either the montecks or the slick tricks....Which one flies better?