Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer ticks

Old 06-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Spike

Default deer ticks

Just came back from a quick walk in one of my hunting areas and was loaded with deer ticks. 3 of them already in my skin where the sun don't shine. Anyone know a repellant that actually works? The pants and long sleeves taped up did not seem to work.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:58 AM

Default RE: deer ticks

coulstons duranon tick repellent really works well, just don't spray it on your skin
Old 06-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

This is what I have been using for the last two seasons and I have had no tick problems. I spray my jacket, shirt, pants, hat, boots, and Fannypack one a month. This even lasts through a couple of washes. It smells when you spray it but drys oderless.

HH

Old 06-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Spike

thanks for the info. I don't need to ruin a season before it starts
Old 06-23-2007, 10:11 AM

Permanone clothing treatment. May be what this Sawyers is.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:17 AM

Permethrin, actually. Here is some information from their site. There is also a little video there as well.

The EPA has recently granted Sawyer® registration for a new Military Style Insect Repellent treatment system for clothing. Similar to the U.S. Military system, with consumer friendly directions; simply soak your clothes or bed net in a permethrin solutions for 2 hours, hang dry and stay protected for 6 washings - no guess work!
Permethrin is a contact insecticide. That is, it kills ticks or other insects when it comes in contact with them. It is used on clothing and materials. It uses the same active ingredient used in hair shampoos for head lice. When applied to clothing the Permethrin binds to the fabric eliminating the risk of over-exposure to the skin.
As a clothing, tent or sleeping bag application, Permethrin is very effective at keeping ticks from attaching to you and at reducing the mosquito population in your camping area.

Permethrin is also an effective repellent against mosquitoes and flies and can be used in conjunction with a skin based repellent. Permethrin can be used as the primary repellent if the exposed skin area (gaps in the treated clothing) is not too large. By storing the treated clothing in black plastic bags between uses the protection can be extended considerably.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would thermacell work?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

Would thermacell work?
Good question...I know it is very effective against mosquitous and flies...I am doubtful that it would work on tics, however.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

How do you know they're deer ticks?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

Permethrin, actually. Here is some information from their site. There is also a little video there as well.

The EPA has recently granted Sawyer® registration for a new Military Style Insect Repellent treatment system for clothing. Similar to the U.S. Military system, with consumer friendly directions; simply soak your clothes or bed net in a permethrin solutions for 2 hours, hang dry and stay protected for 6 washings - no guess work!
Permethrin is a contact insecticide. That is, it kills ticks or other insects when it comes in contact with them. It is used on clothing and materials. It uses the same active ingredient used in hair shampoos for head lice. When applied to clothing the Permethrin binds to the fabric eliminating the risk of over-exposure to the skin.
As a clothing, tent or sleeping bag application, Permethrin is very effective at keeping ticks from attaching to you and at reducing the mosquito population in your camping area.

Permethrin is also an effective repellent against mosquitoes and flies and can be used in conjunction with a skin based repellent. Permethrin can be used as the primary repellent if the exposed skin area (gaps in the treated clothing) is not too large. By storing the treated clothing in black plastic bags between uses the protection can be extended considerably.
Yes, what you said. My Momma said I was special.uh huh huh. [X(][X(][X(][X(][:-]

Permanoneisa name brand. I guessbought out by Repel.You could buy it without anyfrangrance added I am not sure now.

Isit permethin or permethrin.Spelled both ways.Are they different?

Quick Reply: deer ticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.