HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Venison Jerky Recipe For My BowHunting Friends (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/195077-venison-jerky-recipe-my-bowhunting-friends.html)

WARedBear 08-23-2007 08:00 AM

RE: Venison Jerky Recipe For My Bow Hunting Friends

What about ground meat. I have a dehydrator and I take the pieces parts left over and grind them and then I use a jerky gun to make nice 1/4"x1" pieces. What is a good recipe for this kind of jerky? Can I use this recipe but cut down on how much I add to the meat? I don't want liquid jerky? What would be a good amount to add to a pound of hamburger jerky?

Waiting
Reid

PreacherTony 08-23-2007 08:04 AM

You would just mix in an amount sufficient enough to be able to form the burger in a ball ... remember, the meat doesn't absorb liquid .... this would be supr potent with burger .....hmmmmmm

bhunter50 08-23-2007 08:11 AM

sounds excellent, can't wait to try it, got to get some jerky ready for the season!! thanks tony!!!

davepjr71 08-23-2007 08:41 AM

Tony,

Thank a lot for posting this.I take back half of the bad things I've said about you.;)

PreacherTony 08-23-2007 08:43 AM

You are welcome guys .... please let me know what you think ..

PreacherTony’s Venison Jerky

2 c Worcestershire sauce
2c cup Soy sauce
½ c Liquid Smoke
1 c Red Hot Sauce
6 TB Honey
3 TB Mustard
6 TB Garlic Salt
2 TB Pepper
4 TB Onion Powder
1 c Brown Sugar
To Add HEAT[/b]
2 ½ TB Crushed Red Pepper or
¼ c Tabasco sauce

Mix all marinade ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Pour into plastic container and refrigerate until needed. Measure out 2 cups of mixture for every 3# of meat to be marinated. Pour over meat slices that are already in a quart size zip lock bag. Thoroughly wet all sides of meat. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours. Rotate bag every few hours, working the marinade over all meat. Drain the meat and spread the meat (be sure to NOT overlap) onto trays in single layers. If using a dehydrator, dry for 4-5 hours, (depending on thickness) checking every 2 hours. Make sure to rotate trays
(bottom to top and flipping the meat as needed), or place trays in the oven and dry at 145’ for the first 4 hours then set oven to 130’ until dry( approx. 4-8 hours). Jerky should be hard but not brittle. Blot up any fat that appears with a paper towel. * For a chewy texture, slice the meat with the grain, or across the grain for a more tender jerky.

hardcorehunter 08-23-2007 09:08 AM

RE: Venison Jerky Recipe For My BowHunting Friends

Cool. I am bringing my smoker back from IA in a couple of weeks and Ihave tons of deer meat and lots of free time right now. I am going to be a jerky making fool.

PreacherTony 08-23-2007 09:14 AM

Y'all that make up a bunch of that jerky feel free to ship the author of the recipe some :)

Bailsuk 08-23-2007 09:18 AM

Nice one , i'm always looking for something new to try and this sounds Delicious .

Thanks for sharing it with us .

Dave

ladybowhntr 08-23-2007 09:20 AM

Is the mustard dry or liquid? Sounds like a great recipe. I'll try it next time I make some. Have a ton of jerky all ready for this season. But in the dead of winter, when the season is over, I'll be making more. Thanks Tony.

r33h 08-23-2007 09:20 AM

I will have to give this a try...thanks for sharing!!