HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Venison Jerky Recipe For My BowHunting Friends (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/195077-venison-jerky-recipe-my-bowhunting-friends.html)

SouthDakotaHunter 08-23-2007 04:52 PM

RE: Venison Jerky Recipe For My BowHunting Friends

Can't wait to try it!

arkansasbowhunter 08-24-2007 04:25 PM

no franks hot sauce here. any other kind to use?

PreacherTony 08-25-2007 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: arkansasbowhunter

no franks hot sauce here. any other kind to use?
Any cayenne pepper sauce should work ... tht's what Frank's is .....and some vinegar, garlic powder and salt ....

PreacherTony 10-10-2007 06:32 AM

Bump by popular demand:D

muzzyshooter 10-10-2007 06:34 AM

Thanks Toney, now all i need is the Venison. Season starts Sat... wooo whooo

PreacherTony 10-10-2007 06:35 AM

ORIGINAL: muzzyshooter

Thanks Toney, now all i need is the Venison. Season starts Sat... wooo whooo
Same here my brother!!!!

buckmaster 10-10-2007 06:37 AM

(Quicklygets awayfrom sparking keyboard of drule...)

davepjr71 10-10-2007 07:04 AM

Tony,

Do you have a different recipe for your enemies?

PreacherTony 10-10-2007 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Tony,

Do you have a different recipe for your enemies?
Dave, ifI did, you would be the first to know! ;)

Just playin' .... actually I do .... all you have to do is add 3 cups habenero juice :D

davepjr71 10-10-2007 10:46 AM

That would make it have some kick.

That's amazing that some places are still waiting for the season to start. of ocurse, with the weather lately this weekend will be better than any of the ones i've had for the season here.

Buckhunter46755 10-10-2007 11:02 AM

RE: Venison Jerky Recipe For My Bow Hunting Friends

Thanks for the recipie.. I love to try new ones. I made some last nite from a differen't recipie. It was okay, but yours sounds better. I like it hot too. I'm using yours next time. That's nice of you to share!!!!

chris

PreacherTony 10-10-2007 02:12 PM

Buck, i'll send ya my address in a PM so I can taste it and see ifya did it right :D

LittleChief 10-10-2007 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Buck, i'll send ya my address in a PM so I can taste it and see ifya did it right :D
Go kill your own deer, PT.:D

PreacherTony 10-10-2007 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Go kill your own deer, PT.:D
I wanna [&o]:( my season doesn't start until Saturday [>:] oh, and LC .... don't make me come over there .....[8D]

Tony’s Venison Jerky

2 c Worcestershire sauce
2c cup Soy sauce
½ c Liquid Smoke
1 c Red Hot Sauce
6 TB Honey
3 TB Mustard
6 TB Garlic Salt
2 TB Pepper
4 TB Onion Powder
1 c Brown Sugar
To Add HEAT[/b]
2 ½ TB Crushed Red Pepper or
¼ c Tabasco sauce

Mix all marinade ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Pour into plastic container and refrigerate until needed. Measure out 2 cups of mixture for every 3# of meat to be marinated. Pour over meat slices that are already in a quart size zip lock bag. Thoroughly wet all sides of meat. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours. Rotate bag every few hours, working the marinade over all meat. Drain the meat and spread the meat (be sure to NOT overlap) onto trays in single layers. If using a dehydrator, dry for 4-5 hours, (depending on thickness) checking every 2 hours. Make sure to rotate trays
(bottom to top and flipping the meat as needed), or place trays in the oven and dry at 145’ for the first 4 hours then set oven to 130’ until dry( approx. 4-8 hours). Jerky should be hard but not brittle. Blot up any fat that appears with a paper towel. * For a chewy texture, slice the meat with the grain, or across the grain for a more tender jerky.

kevanddj 10-10-2007 03:54 PM

Thanks Tony
My 11yr boy is going to love this, he's a jerky fanatic

throwingStarr 10-10-2007 06:09 PM

6 Tablespoons of garlic salt?? (did ya mean powder??)

..would that not be a little overkill on the salt since the soy sauce has plenty of the already?

ericstacy 10-10-2007 06:25 PM

Here is the "Mother Load" of jerky recipes. Venison is substituted for beef on some. I like the Hot and Tangy. Or the Hawaiian for sweeter.
http://www.wideworldofhunting.com/jerky/recipes.htm#Hawaiian

throwingStarr 10-10-2007 06:41 PM

"Here is the "Mother Load" of jerky recipes. Venison is substituted for beef on some. I like the Hot and Tangy. Or the Hawaiian for sweeter."

Ok then, the salt measures seem to be more within their constraints,, i'll give one of those a try.

PreacherTony 10-11-2007 05:42 AM

ORIGINAL: throwingStarr

6 Tablespoons of garlic salt?? (did ya mean powder??)

..would that not be a little overkill on the salt since the soy sauce has plenty of the already?
It's salt ..... trust me on this one .... try it before you adjust .... salt helps the drying and also with the finished consistancy ...... let me know how you all like it!

ericstacy ...... back off my thread [:-]:D..... try this one ....it is just like you say you like ....trust me (I aint no politician):D

PreacherTony 10-31-2007 09:55 AM

Bump for more requests for recipe ......

Tony’s Venison Jerky

2 c Worcestershire sauce
2c cup Soy sauce
½ c Liquid Smoke
1 c Red Hot Sauce
6 TB Honey
3 TB Mustard
6 TB Garlic Salt
2 TB Pepper
4 TB Onion Powder
1 c Brown Sugar
To Add HEAT[/b]
¼ c Tabasco sauce

Mix all marinade ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Pour into plastic container and refrigerate until needed. Measure out 2 cups of mixture for every 3# of meat to be marinated. Pour over meat slices that are already in a quart size zip lock bag. Thoroughly wet all sides of meat. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours. Rotate bag every few hours, working the marinade over all meat. Drain the meat and spread the meat (be sure to NOT overlap) onto trays in single layers. If using a dehydrator, dry for 4-5 hours, (depending on thickness) checking every 2 hours. Make sure to rotate trays
(bottom to top and flipping the meat as needed), or place trays in the oven and dry at 145’ for the first 4 hours then set oven to 130’ until dry( approx. 4-8 hours). Jerky should be hard but not brittle. Blot up any fat that appears with a paper towel. * For a chewy texture, slice the meat with the grain, or across the grain for a more tender jerky.

davepjr71 10-31-2007 10:00 AM

Are you going to make us some?

PreacherTony 10-31-2007 10:04 AM

I sure hope get the opportunity! Last two outings, nothin'. I'll be in a tree for at least some part of every day for the next 3 days ..... it should be heating up .....

How goes your season, Dave?

davepjr71 10-31-2007 10:12 AM

Not enough time in the woods here. i plan on taking next Wed and Thursday off and already have Friday off. Therefore, it's 4 days of archery at the right time of the year I hope.

Gundeck 10-31-2007 10:30 AM

I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for the recipe and I will certainly let you know how it turns out.

PreacherTony 10-31-2007 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Gundeck

I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for the recipe and I will certainly let you know how it turns out.
Gun ..... guaranteed to be the best you ever had!!!

in da woods 10-31-2007 10:35 AM

I've heard great things about this recipe. Just in time for my trip up North this weekend.

WakeCow 10-31-2007 12:15 PM

I just took out 8lbs of sliced v roasts out for jerky. Your thread popped up just in time. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ericstacy 10-31-2007 04:10 PM

A little history on Jerky and plenty recipes here. I like the Hot and Tangy.
http://www.wideworldofhunting.com/jerky/jerkyhistory.htm
Eric S. Stacy

PreacherTony 02-18-2008 07:37 AM

Bumped per request of a few members ......

Tony’s Venison Jerky

2 c Worcestershire sauce
2c cup Soy sauce
½ c Liquid Smoke
1 c Red Hot Sauce
6 TB Honey
3 TB Mustard
6 TB Garlic Salt
2 TB Pepper
4 TB Onion Powder
1 c Brown Sugar
To Add HEAT[/b]
¼ c Tabasco sauce

mobow 02-18-2008 07:45 AM

AHHHH!! There it is.....I couldn't find it.....thanks Tony!!

I made some over the weekend, not this recipe but a different one....Yeah, it SUCKED big time. Gonna use this one next time, thanks.

LittleChief 02-18-2008 08:21 AM

Strange that this should pop up right now. Just finished drying new batch yesterday. It's so good.......:D:D

-DeerSlayer- 02-18-2008 11:13 AM

can't wait to try it out tommorow

PreacherTony 02-18-2008 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Strange that this should pop up right now. Just finished drying new batch yesterday. It's so good.......:D:D
Yeah LC ... I still haven't gotten my package in the mail[:-]:D

Have you changed it up at all?

PreacherTony 03-28-2008 09:49 AM

I've had a few guys request this again .... lots of new guys on here as well..... so I am bumping this for them ..... ENJOY! :)

Tony’s Venison Jerky

2 c Worcestershire sauce
2c cup Soy sauce
½ c Liquid Smoke
1 c Red Hot Sauce
6 TB Honey
3 TB Mustard
6 TB Garlic Salt
2 TB Pepper
4 TB Onion Powder
1 c Brown Sugar
To Add HEAT[/b]
¼ c Tabasco sauce

mobow 03-28-2008 09:51 AM

Dude, would this work for ground venison as well?

PreacherTony 03-28-2008 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: mobow

Absolutely .... it would be more pungent, tho .... you may have to make a few adjustments .... like using garlic powder to reduce the salt in the garlic salt ....

Mobo .... did you ever end up making it last time?

ozbowhunter 03-28-2008 12:47 PM

probably a silly question but wont it cook in the oven and not dry out ?or am i missing something ?

mobow 03-28-2008 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: mobow

Absolutely .... it would be more pungent, tho .... you may have to make a few adjustments .... like using garlic powder to reduce the salt in the garlic salt ....

Mobo .... did you ever end up making it last time?
No, because I realized all I had was ground. Well, I have 1 roast, but I'm not cutting that up for jerky. Then I forgot all about it, and wanted to ask if the ground venison would work.. Thanks bro, I'm gonna make some probably next week.

PreacherTony 03-28-2008 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: ozbowhunter

probably a silly question but wont it cook in the oven and not dry out ?or am i missing something ?
not a silly question ...... the problem with MOST ovens is that they will not go low enough to dry thejerky properly and WILL end up cooking it ... a dehydrator works the best ....if you use an oven, put it on the lowest setting and open the door a crack .... but best to get a dehydrator ...

Philg 03-29-2008 08:45 AM

Thanks for that recipe. I love jerky and i iwll give this one a go as well.