Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Center the Pin Guard in the Peep? >

Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Old 06-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Why would all the sight manufacturers now be using round pin guards if it wasn't widely accepted. Why would it be widely accepted if it didn't have benefits over older methods?
Oh my.... I've seen it happen so many times and I could get myself into so much trouble answering THAT loaded question. So I'll just keep my opinion to myself.(cough, coughfad, cough) [8D]

The shop I shot for is closed down now, so I don't have access to a bunch of different stuff any more. I really don't want to dump a hundred bucks on a sight with a round pin guard, so I'll have to pass on your offer. Thanks anyway.

I did put my Toxonics slider on my bow today. Round housing but the pin is centered in there. So even if I do align the housing in the peep, the pin is also going to be automatically centered.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:01 PM

So no matter how big the peep opening you are good to go? Auto center. I guess I have been trying too hard.

If this is correct can you have a big ole peep opening?
Old 06-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I used to shoot NFAA tournaments in the Southeast for several years. Even though I like the centering of the whole gang in the peep that Len put me on to, I have to agree with a lot of things Arthur said. People are really missing out on a lot of funby skippingone and two or three day NFAA shoots. For several years I was somewhere every weekend in Ga, Fla, Alabama or SC flinging arrows. I shot a WHOLE lot of arrows on non tournament days. I shot bowhunter limited(fingers, short stabilzers allowed and 5 pins. I'd practice several hours a day(usually 150-200 arrows. I had an 80 yard range in my back yard. I'd shoot 100 arrows or a complete round, take a break and go back at it. I did it as preparation for hunting. Others did like they do today, a special set up for hunting and a different set up for tournaments. I showed up with my hunting rig at hunting poundage with my fat old arrows with 125 grain points. It made me a better hunter. At the time there was a young punk that shot barebow... nothing but a stick and a string. He used to outshoot most of the unlimited freestyle shooters. I think he was 18 when I first hooked up with him. You know him as Jessie Morehead of Muzzy fame. And Arthur, we were a heck of a lot better than we are now.[&:][:@] That said, I love centering the gang in the peep. I can have a lot bigger peep and be accurate and see what's going on. The centering becomes automatic in no time. Add a nose button to the string(another Len add on)and I can shoot in the dark. Anchor under all conditions is automatic and repeatable.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:35 AM

(cough, coughfad, cough)

You really should take something for that before it becomes the death of you. And, if you think it is a "fad", I've got a 'bridge for sale'. COF!!!

I've got round pin guard sights starting at $25 and I'd pay for the shipping/handling just for you.

A single pin adjustable is just an extension of a tournament style sight and really doesn't allow proper maintaining of the anchor points at very long distances as does a multipin sight. Single pins sights sometimes become noisey over time due to the moving parts.Periodic proper maintainance should be done to prevent this.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man ..... clash of the TITANS goin' on! This thread is sooooooooo interesting ...... Len and Artie .... thank you ... you guys are great ....
Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I center my site and then pin the target. Just some of what I go through to take a shot. A mental check list before the arrow leaves the bow.Slows me down and calms me down. I also check my hands, feet, elbows and face. Seems long but only takes a few seconds. Practise makes it all happen quickly.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Holy crap i just read every page..... I am for sure bored at work. But i have to chime in as one that centers the housing in the peep. As Len stated it allowed me for a larger peep for hunting low light and once i got used to it i actually seen my consitency and scores going up in 3D trnys.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

So, Len, you are verifying what I posted above? Am I correct in saying the gang should be centered with the scope effect of the peep and sight ring? If so, raising and lowering the bow is the correct way to to put the pin on the target?

Thanks, LT
Correct. Must bend your back.If you use just shoulders or arms your anchorwill beoff, torque, youname it. I have really thought about this . I still dont believe you automatically mentallycenter the pin in the opening of the peep. You must be conscious of it in a shot routine. If so you could us a HUGE opening for hunting or target and it would make no difference.

If youdon't center the pins in your peep, but you do it the same every time, you will do pretty good. Kind of like a golf swing. Am I wrong?Consistency! I do center the housing and then bend my back for longer shots. But if it makes no difference and my brain is not screwed up, I may drill that sucker out and try it.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur I dont care what they say, I am still with you.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I used to agree with Arthur on this one but now I believe it to be a more individuall choice.
Bullhockey I say.[8D] I'm with GMMAT. Center the gang and you're much more accuarat. Not only that you're not as likely to change your anchor or adjust your body to get a decent sight picrture on longer shots. ... and TFox, you were using a single site pin in a scope. Centering a single pin is like centering the whole gang You're center the brackets.

I realize it may seem the same but using the small peep and centering the pin was more accurate FOR ME with the scope.I did it both ways with my scope as well as doing it both ways with my pinsetup.It worked better for me using the housing with pins.

If I were to get back into competition and using a scope,I would try both ways again,things might be different the next time around.

Quick Reply: Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.