Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Peep + Kisser + Loop or other
30.00%
Peep + Kisser
3.33%
Peep + Loop or other
63.33%
Peep + Bare String
3.33%
Kisser+ Loop
0%
Kisser + Bare String
0%
Loop only
0%
Bare String only
0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

String Setup

Old 06-21-2007, 03:48 AM

Default RE: String Setup

on my mathews its peep and loop but on my long bow just bare string
Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Tikka 30-06

I think the little loss of speed is worth it when it comes to kissers. It gives the same nock point everytime which eliminates one thing out of the equation that shooting a bow is. Altough, I used one since I started shooting so its not the same for me without one.
A kisser button is for anchoring consistently time and again. Shoot with a round pin guard, center the pin guard rather than the individulal pin, and you no longer need to use a kisser.

Peep and a loop for me.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't have just one answer to that question because I don't limit myself to only one shooting style. Usually, especially for hunting, I shoot fingers/barebow and have only a bare string. Just a nock point and catwhiskers.

For 3D and field archery, I play around and shoot different classes. When I want to shoot a pins/fingers class, I put a sight and a peep on the bow. If I want to shoot pins/release class, I put a loop on it.

I've never used a kisser. If you've worked up a good, reliable anchor with multiple references - solid main anchor point, peep, nose touching the string for instance - a kisser is completely unnecessary.

Not to pick on Washington Hunter, but he's the one who brought it up... I do not subscribe to the round pin guard theory. If you've got that good, reliable anchor, just pick the correct pin for the distance and let your eye automatically center that pin in the peep as you put it where you want your arrow to go. Really, your eye does it all by itself with no effort on your part, assuming you've got anything close to normal vision.

Your concentration should be totally on the target, not divided amongst the pin guard, however many pins are inside that pin guard and the target. All you should see at anchor is the target with a little colored ball right where you intend to aim.

It wasn't that long ago that the bowhunter freestyle classes in NFAA weren't even allowed to have pin guards on their sights. We were allowed five pins and cheaters could fix up their pin guards to work as two extra pins. We did some awfully fine shooting without them.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Not to pick on Washington Hunter, but he's the one who brought it up... I do not subscribe to the round pin guard theory. If you've got that good, reliable anchor, just pick the correct pin for the distance and let your eye automatically center that pin in the peep as you put it where you want your arrow to go. Really, your eye does it all by itself with no effort on your part, assuming you've got anything close to normal vision.

Your concentration should be totally on the target, not divided amongst the pin guard, however many pins are inside that pin guard and the target. All you should see at anchor is the target with a little colored ball right where you intend to aim.
Well I absolutely agree with Wash. I use a larger peep that aligns perfectly with my pin guard. I squint my left eye for just a slight moment upon reaching full draw.....kind of like centering a bubble on a level....to get the peep and the pin guard aligned.....and then it's eyes wide open (both). I never look back at either.....just the target and the pin (in that order of importance).

It's been the best thing for my accuracy. I used to center the pin.....but would never advise anyone to do that, now.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Peep and loop. I can't feel a kisser well enough through a mask to make it worthwhile.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Topic for a new thread, GMMAT.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ArrowMike

Peep & 1 brass nock, 1 rubber button.
Ditto
Old 06-21-2007, 07:47 PM

If you have a good anchor on your jaw and your nose touches the string in the same place the peep/ pin allignment will be there without having to concentrate a whole lot on it. I know exactly were my first knuckle touches my jaw bone and the center of my nose touches the string everytime. It doesn't take me long to check peep/ pin allignment. Just my .02
Old 06-21-2007, 07:51 PM

I've got a fletcher tru peep and a single brass nock. Works great for me!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:50 PM

1/4" hunter size peep and loop.
That's it.