Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Target

Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Target

Nice LittleChief...i think i will rig something like that up for mine!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Block is pretty cool.

Not layered foam that can fall apart. It is also more heavy duty than layered foam.

I like how one side of the 4x4 one side has a deer silhouette and vitals on it.
It's not a freestanding deer target, but it will do.

You can get a pretty big one for about $99, but they have 3 or 4 sizes varying in price.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm wondering if any of you guys use compressed cardboard from a bailer? I can get as many as I want from a Tractor Supply store .. they are about 4' high, 4' wide, and maybe 5' long ......
Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I'm wondering if any of you guys use compressed cardboard from a bailer? I can get as many as I want from a Tractor Supply store .. they are about 4' high, 4' wide, and maybe 5' long ......
I don't think I would although I would have to try it first. I would be afraid that there wasn't enough "give" with a target like that. It seems like the arrows would be going into a fairly tough target and that would cause them to warp or detoriorate quicker in some fashion.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I don't think I would although I would have to try it first. I would be afraid that there wasn't enough "give" with a target like that. It seems like the arrows would be going into a fairly tough target and that would cause them to warp or detoriorate quicker in some fashion.
That was my concern as well .....
Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last weekend I shot the new Rinehart 18-1 Block target. These things are awesome. The company guarantees them for 1 year, and if you shoot through it in a year, they replace it. Their definition of shot through is buried to the fletch. Even counts if all you shoot are broadheads, pretty sweet. It was the first time I had shot any Rinheart target, and it was a USBA shoot, so they are all rinehart 3D targets, and there is no comparison. Those things are amazing. So easy to pull arrows out of and very realistic.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago, my dad used a bail of compressed soda cases (the cardboard, like Pepsi Cubes) for a target. He is good friends with the disrributor, and he gave him a bail to use. This was before the Block and things were available. They do work for a target, but they are really hard on you arrows, not to mention a real beast to pull out of. One application I think you could use for it would be like a target to just leave out, say at a hunting camp or something, but to use steadily, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had very good luck with the Morrel BH target. I shot up the first layer with broad heads and now the field points pull out easy. I've been shooting mine for 3 years. I going to give the BH target a break after this season and pick up a field point Morrel bag. I'll keep the BH target for just BH after this year.

Tom
Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 AM

I like the yellow jacket bag, the nice thing about it is when you start to shoot through it you can replace the cover for about $15.00 and it is as good as new
Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Bag won't take BH's. If I was looking for a FP target.....I'd look at a bag. The YJ is HELL to pull FP's out of!
Ditto...YJ is for Broadheads Only! You'll be walking bent over from pulling your back muscles out trying to get field points out of the thing...don't ask me how I know.
Probably because you are my neighbor and you were watching me. I know you had to be laughing your butt off when I laid the target over with the "6" arrows sticking up in the air, then stood on top of the darn thing to pull them out.[&:]