HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Eye Dominance (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/194999-eye-dominance.html)

Syd1981 06-20-2007 01:59 PM

Eye Dominance

I was just reading an article about how to pick a bow http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/articles.aspx?articles_id=481and one of the points in the article is picking a bow based on which eye is dominant. So it turns out even though I am right handed my left eye is dominant. So here is the question am I better to buy a right handed bow and shoot with a less dominant eye? or do I shoot with a dominant eye and learn to shoot what bascially feels like it is backwards? I would think it would be harder to shoot with the wrong hand. is there anyone that does this ?? thanks in advance

SwampCollie 06-20-2007 02:04 PM

RE: Eye Dominance

I have heard about people doing both. As to which is best...well thats all up to you. My old boss was a high master highpower shooter....left handed all the way...but right eye dominant. He even shot lefthanded...but had trained his left eye to take over. Mind over matter I guess.

Its a hard situation you are in. I suspect you can make do either way. As long as you do everything the same each time, you'll be successful...of course, thats all archery really is anyway....a single act of repetition.

Redneck Bowhunter 06-20-2007 02:16 PM

About 6 years ago I was in the same boat your in. I decided to go with my dominent eye which is my left. It took some time to get accustomed to shooting "backwards" but then it just felt fine. Now it feels weird to shoot a bow right handed. I think I am much more accurate now than I could have been the other way, unless I took the time to change my eye dominence. Your decision.

kyner 06-20-2007 02:53 PM

I am left eye dominant but shot right-handed for over 10 years. I always had trouble with the dominant eye wanting to take over - especially in low light situations. I made the switch to left-handed about 7 years ago and haven't looked back. Best thing I ever did. With the cost of archery equipment you might as well take the time to prctice and use your dominant eye to your advantage.

davepjr71 06-20-2007 03:05 PM

I'm left handed and right eye dominant. Tried to shoot left handed when I was young. However, i realized I was more accurate shooting right handed and have ever since. The back wards feeling will go away in a short time as soon as you stop thinking about it.

Syd1981 06-20-2007 03:15 PM

Thanks a lot guys! I guess I will have to try left handed bows. So should I be shooting a left handed rifle as well???

davepjr71 06-20-2007 03:18 PM

Yes, that one was easier to get used to and it feels weird to me trying to shoot a rifle or shotgun left handed. I tried a patch for shotgun and it didn't work very well.

However, you do nothave to buy a left handed rifle though it makes it easier with the bolt style. I have family members that shoot lefty but have righty bolt actions and shotguns.

Syd1981 06-20-2007 03:38 PM

Thanks Dave. wow so I have been doing it backwards the whole time (well not backwars but you know what I mean) I am going to have to put some serious time in on the range to get used to this.

markj 06-20-2007 03:52 PM

Left eye dominant here and shoot right. Just can't shoot with both eyes open. Close your left eye and you will be fine. I am no olympic archer but I do fine.

Shoot a gun left handed but not a bow. Just the right handed physical thing with a bowI guess.

newman1 06-20-2007 04:15 PM

Left eye dominant and shoot right handed.I am no tournament shooter but shoot well enough at most bowhunting ranges.