Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed) >

What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

Old 06-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

We all know the differences between the two but I'm still trying to figure ti out...

I've thought about this for quite a while and just wonder what you guys think. If you are shooting a well tuned bow, properly spined arrow, etc... Then what exactly is the advantage of shooting a mechanical head for big game animals (not turkey).

Unfortunately mech's are used frequently to mask tuning errors, so let's take that out of the equation. If your bow is properly set up then bh's and fieldpoints will fly the same, so there is no advantage there. Fixed heads don't require the KE of a mech, no advantage. There's always the "possibility" that they don't open too. The only real advantage that I can think of is that you can get them in a large cutting diameter. I guess fixed blades will magnify imperfections in shooting form as well.

Am I wrong and overlooking a bunch of issues or what?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

I know, i am still wondering why but i think it it along the lines of bigger cutting diameters and maybe they pack alittle bigger punch?

i still stick to fixed for big game
Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 AM

the only reason would be larger cut to cover bad hits. but you also loose penetration with mechs, not all of them by desighn i know, but most of them. dustin, you and me both have shot enough hogs and deer to know a tuned bow with fixed blade heads offer a better chnce for a pass thru and produce better blood trails.... dont change man!!! slick tricks forever man
Old 06-19-2007, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

well, personally, i shoot a mathews set at 72 lbs. and have shot out to 30 yards at deer and have never had an arrow not pass through. i am sure that if i tuned my bow, i could shoot my bow with anybroadhead accurately.

i shoot mechanicals because it is simply easier and i dont have to worry about the planing of the broadheads. my mechanicals shoot exactly the same as my field points. so when i go to shoot on the weekends wit my friend, my field points hit the mckensie hit the same spot that my mechanicals would. i have never had one not open or cause a deflection when shooting on an angle.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html
Old 06-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like those 2" holes thru both lungs. Not to mention the heart.They don't go far like that, and are easy to follow.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have never used any mechanical broadheads ever since I was cutting up a deer and got sliced by a blade that was stuck in the shoulder of a deer. After digging around some more,we found the restof the head. Thehead never opened fully. I still have that head as a reminderof what to watch out for. Ihave neverfound afixed blade in a deer and I have been butchering deersince 1993. Did it for a living for a few years nowI do it only for family.Over the years I have recovered more than 30 mechanicalheads in deer. Keep in mindmore than 75% ofthese deer were all shot during thegun season and had mechanic heads stuck in them. Im sure that when a shot is placed right with a mechanical head the damage is devistating. But they are just another thing to go wrong on that buck of a life time. Just ask a friend of mine who lost a 200 class buck a couple years ago because the mechanical head never opened. Just my two cents. Im sure they have imporved some over the years, but again, still another thing to go wrong in my book.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't care how well tuned your bow is, in windy situations, a fixed blade WILL be affected more than a mechanical .....
Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gutshot101
the only reason would be larger cut to cover bad hits. but you also loose penetration with mechs, not all of them by desighn i know, but most of them. dustin, you and me both have shot enough hogs and deer to know a tuned bow with fixed blade heads offer a better chnce for a pass thru and produce better blood trails.... dont change man!!! slick tricks forever man
Donny, I'm definitely not switching... no worries about that. Other than a huge cutting diameter I really don't see the advantage. On turkey's it's totally different.

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I don't care how well tuned your bow is, in windy situations, a fixed blade WILL be affected more than a mechanical .....
No disrespect PT, but a fixed blade MAY be more affected, that's dependant upon a ton of variables. The arrow you are shooting has just as much to do with wind deflection as the BF. You can't tell me that a 2-blade stinger is going to drift substantially more than a mech. And in the event that it's and extreme wind, we should be questioning whether or not to shoot at all.

That's pretty much exactly my thoughts. Thanks 5 shot.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a pretty good video of how mechanicals stack up against fixed heads at a distance from a perfectly tuned bow shot by a shooting machine. The mechs definitely hit closer at greater distances.

The video is at the bottom left of the screen.

http://www.prorelease.com/xring.aspx

Quick Reply: What "truly" is the advantage (Mech vs. Fixed)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.