Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 QDMA or Antler farming? >

QDMA or Antler farming?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QDMA or Antler farming?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: QDMA or Antler farming?

StrutNtom,

Ironically, if you were hunting a well balanced herd or one of these TDM herds the rut would be short, intense, and clearly defined.

We have the same problem. We had a late rut during the first week of January last year. [:@] It's not just the lack of cold weather that some people in the south attribute it to. It's the fact that there are too many does, so it takes a lot longer for the does to breed and some of the does don't get bred, and go estrous again. Also, I believe from reading on this that just the imablance of the herd causes a lot of "social" and hormonal problems with deer.

This is not to say that the rut where I hunt is "all season," but that it is harder to follow and predict.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Dominant Buck

StrutNTom... your fence isn't high enough and you don't buy enough breeding stock. LOL
Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

StrutNtom,

Ironically, if you were hunting a well balanced herd or one of these TDM herds the rut would be short, intense, and clearly defined.

We have the same problem. We had a late rut during the first week of January last year. [:@] It's not just the lack of cold weather that some people in the south attribute it to. It's the fact that there are too many does, so it takes a lot longer for the does to breed and some of the does don't get bred, and go estrous again. Also, I believe from reading on this that just the imablance of the herd causes a lot of "social" and hormonal problems with deer.

This is not to say that the rut where I hunt is "all season," but that it is harder to follow and predict.
You are right, we may never know why it is. Personally, my thoughts lean towards our buck to doe ratio being so out of wack. I don't see how these guys can manage their deer like they do unless it is fenced in. There are just too many does in SC. Is it fenced in? I may have missed that.

Two years ago while deer hunting I walked up on a doe that had just given birth to a fawn. If i did the math correctly, the fawn would have been conceived in March.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:43 AM

Quarrelsome Description of Managing Antlers
Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM

I recently became a member of a new qdma branch here in indiana and if it
were only to grow bigger bucks i wouldnt have gotten involved ,it is for the
good of the deer population not just bigger bucks....

[shoot straight]
Old 06-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

The funny thing is states tell us we can or can not shoot with does and nobody says a word. Do the same thing for bucks and people go nuts, LOL

Jim say

Not about the horns

mez I think he can appreaciate how hard it is to get a group of hunters to commit to deer management of that level. Hell here in MI we have wars over basket dink 8 points[:-]

Would I be part of that group? No I would not.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:18 PM

I am all for QDMA, I know that since the antler restrictions have gone into place, I believe this is the 5th year,I have seen more mature bucks in the last 2 years than I have in the previous 20 years.

I totally agree with Markj on the guy that claims he just wants toput meat in the freezer, if that is the case then shoot a couple of does, you dont need to shoot the first fork horn that walks by.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:53 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

The funny thing is states tell us we can or can not shoot with does and nobody says a word. Do the same thing for bucks and people go nuts, LOL

Jim say

Not about the horns

mez I think he can appreaciate how hard it is to get a group of hunters to commit to deer management of that level. Hell here in MI we have wars over basket dink 8 points[:-]

Would I be part of that group? No I would not
So was he not advocating the management they are practicing? I'm not trying to play devils advocate, I really don't know much about QDMA, the reason I didn't ring in on the last post but read the whole thing. The comments made by the director seem to fly in the face of what you were presenting in your QDMA thread. Trying to sort through the facts to make an informed decision.

If a state is placing restictions on a herd for the betterment of the herd, that is one thing. If they are placing them for the betterment of antlers I do not, will not, ever advocate that.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:57 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I am all for QDMA, I know that since the antler restrictions have gone into place, I believe this is the 5th year,I have seen more mature bucks in the last 2 years than I have in the previous 20 years.

I totally agree with Markj on the guy that claims he just wants toput meat in the freezer, if that is the case then shoot a couple of does, you dont need to shoot the first fork horn that walks by
So why do you and Markj get to decide what someone else shoots? So YOU can see more mature bucks. That directly benefits you and your wants of seeing and shooting mature bucks.

The meat hunter, the non trophy hunter that shoots what he sees does not benefit from that. He doesn't care. Maybe his thoughts would be to ban all shooting of any deer 3 points or larger, then there wouldn't be trophy hunting, horn farming, and all of these other things that divide the hunting community. He buys his license, procurs a place to hunt goes out and has a good time and shoots a forkhorn, good for him. He is enjoying himself in the outdoors like we all should. Why should he pass on that deer for your benefit 4 years from now?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

The term......."nevermind"....comes to mind.

Quick Reply: QDMA or Antler farming?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.