HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Hunting and crossbows... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/194636-hunting-crossbows.html)

kpatte26 06-16-2007 09:38 PM

Hunting and crossbows...

I have just read the article on the survey that OL posted on their website. I will say that at this point in my life I do not use a crossbow to hunt with but I will make this statement...
As hunters we are responsible to bring our friends, family, co-workers, and all those around us into the hunting lifestyle so that it will continue for many generations to come. It should not matter what weapon we use just so long as the hunter using that weapon uses it in an ethical and safe manner.
If as hunters we continue to argue amongst ourselves what type of weapons we should or should not be using the only thing we do is create division among ourselves whcih then allows for those opposed to hunting to gain an even greater advantage against us. This will allow them to stop hunting little by little until we get to the point there is not hunting allowed anywhere.
When one looks at the retail money spent on more hunting access it will multiple many times over which in turn will give the hunting industry even more power in congress since each and every congressman needs money to have a campaign... unless you folks out there know of one that does not need any more campaign money?
In addition why are we arguing over minor differences in how to killthe animal... does it matter if we use a mattews compound bow, or if weuse a fred bear compound bow? What about aremingtonfirearmversus a savage or winchester firearm? What about the type of broadheads we use or even the type of ammo?
I can go on and on why we need to stop this stupid bickering over minor things and focus on what really needs to happen... Allow more access to hunting through as many means possible!

Bullet Hole Bailey 06-16-2007 09:49 PM

RE: Hunting and crossbows...

Man you know how to talk, Im with you man, you said it perfectly.

Arthur P 06-17-2007 04:00 AM

For someone who wants the stupid bickering to stop, you are certainly stirring the pot with undue vigor. :eek:

Trollin', trollin', trollin'....

early in 06-17-2007 04:12 AM

I think it's ironic that crossbows are specifically mentioned in the thread.

AR Bowhunter 06-17-2007 06:23 AM

He mentioned more than crossbows, he spoke of rifles also, in his support for hunting.

I do not see what we debate andiscuss as arguing,what Isee is a freedom to speak of our difference inapproaches to this sport.That is what helps promote this sport an brings about different approaches to the sport. The debates an discussings are not going to cause somebody to stop their support of this sport in general. Theywill find their on approach to the sport throughour many ways of hunting.

In thesport we stand as one.

Red Lion 06-17-2007 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: kpatte26

I have just read the article on the survey that OL posted on their website. I will say that at this point in my life I do not use a crossbow to hunt with but I will make this statement...
As hunters we are responsible to bring our friends, family, co-workers, and all those around us into the hunting lifestyle so that it will continue for many generations to come. It should not matter what weapon we use just so long as the hunter using that weapon uses it in an ethical and safe manner.
If as hunters we continue to argue amongst ourselves what type of weapons we should or should not be using the only thing we do is create division among ourselves whcih then allows for those opposed to hunting to gain an even greater advantage against us. This will allow them to stop hunting little by little until we get to the point there is not hunting allowed anywhere.
When one looks at the retail money spent on more hunting access it will multiple many times over which in turn will give the hunting industry even more power in congress since each and every congressman needs money to have a campaign... unless you folks out there know of one that does not need any more campaign money?
In addition why are we arguing over minor differences in how to killthe animal... does it matter if we use a mattews compound bow, or if weuse a fred bear compound bow? What about aremingtonfirearmversus a savage or winchester firearm? What about the type of broadheads we use or even the type of ammo?
I can go on and on why we need to stop this stupid bickering over minor things and focus on what really needs to happen... Allow more access to hunting through as many means possible!
I agree, well said.

IL-Cornfed 06-17-2007 10:07 AM

The group hug concept may sound warm and cuddely to some but I believe we also have the RIGHT to expressour thoughts andopinions even if some do get offended. Keeping X-bows out of our regular archery season here in Illinois seems to be one of them. This is the thought shared by the majority of leaders inmy state's bowhunting orgs as well as the majority of folks that I know and hunt with every season. Just what we need, a weapon that folks will practice even LESS with, but yet shoot even FARTHER! :(You want to use a X-bow, go hunt Ohio! ;)

Swanee 06-17-2007 10:54 AM

I'm not going to get in a great debate about this, but my dad, who can't pull the minimum 40# bow (due to a bad shoulder) hunts with a crossbow during our MN season. He practices quite often and didn't take a deer last year. He's more of a hunter than anyone who would question his right to hunt with a crossbow.

I don't believe that someone shooting a crossbow versus someone shooting a compound bow would practice any more with one than the other. An ethical hunter practices as much as needed for a quick and humane as possible shot as well as to hone their accuracy. I know a lot of people who shoot compound bows who don't practice with but a few arrows. I tell them to practice more, but they disregard my advice. I know a lot of rifle hunters who don't practice at all with essentially the same excuse of "it was on last year and nothing's changed". I think the issue is thatpeople feel there is somesort of advantage of a crossbow over a compound bow. I don't see it, and would beg to differ.

AR Bowhunter 06-17-2007 12:56 PM

From what I know about crossbow hunting, you load it before you start hunting. I feel that if you wanted to make it even then wait an load it when the deer is within thirty yds just like you do with a compound. I have nothing against crossbows but I believe this would put the difference on even ground for the most part.

kpatte26 06-17-2007 03:03 PM

It should not matter what weapon we use just so long as the hunter using that weapon uses it in an ethical and safe manner...

Apparently Il-Cornfed you did not read the statement above... If you think I am promoting a group hug philosophy you are correct but it seems those bow hunters that are opposed to allowing a xbow seem to be using flawed thinking. When I referred to using the weapon in an ethical and safe manner that means practicing with it regularly! So my next question is how often do you shoot your bow?

I would love to hear what the hunting guru chuck adams has to say about this since he has become a master of the bow!

Again the whole point to my statement was that instead of arguing over the method we need to allow access in as many ways possible so that we can have more suuport available when it comes time to fight those opposed like the USHS!