Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbers vs. Hang-ons >

Climbers vs. Hang-ons

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbers vs. Hang-ons

Old 06-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Climbers vs. Hang-ons

I am looking into a treestand this year and i cant decide if its worth getting a nice $200 climber or a $40 hang on just to try it out?

And since i can probly be able to only get one this year, which would you rather have

Rangefinder or a treestand?

thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Climbers vs. Hang-ons

Again, depends on the situation.

My primary tract of land (up high) has volunteer pines that I love putting hang-ons in. I can get high enough and they offer great concealment. Not to mention that I use the limbs as steps, so it cuts having to buy all those steps in half. I rather use a ladder stick, but in these cases, its just cheaper and easier to put in a few steps and use the limbs.

The lower part of the land, (creek bottom) is full of tall hard woods. I use a climber here. I usually get on a good sized sweet gum and climb 20+ feet.

If I had to pick one of the two, I would rather hunt out of a hang-on b/c on the hot Sept. and OCT. days in SC, by the time you use a climber to get up 20+ ft, you are soaked in sweat. Espically if you have to carry the climber in with you.

A hang-on, I just put it up, put a ladder stick up, or steps and leave it. I also like them b/c you don't have to cut limbs like you have to with a climber. You can conceal a hang-on a lot better.

You can find some decent hang-ons thats aren't that $$$.

If you want a VERY comfortable hang on that isn't $$$ at all, check out the SS lounger stand on cabela's web site. its like $109, but you can get it cheaper at Sportsman's Guide. Its not a stand that you want to move every other day. Its one that you put up and leave there for the duration, but it is VERY comfortable and I put it up by myself.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks man, you just changed my whole perspective!
Old 06-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the climbers better than hang ons personally. I also feel safer in a climber than i do in a hang on but i depends on the types of trees rather than which kind. I am going to put a hang on inan unproductiveoak this year that i only need about 6 steps for it because the deer fiter by this to get to the beans in the feild
Old 06-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

I use a Summit Viper and it is very sturdy. But there are some nice hang ons. I just prefer using my climber. With a climber you can basically hunt anywhere theres a nice straight tree...
Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats why i am hooked on getting one!
Old 06-17-2007, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

i like lock on's better.... i can hide them better.. doesnt have to be a tall limbless strait tree........ dont have to carry it in the woods or out the day im huntin..... much more quiter when goin in in the mornings... dont get me wrong i love my summit viper but id much rather hunt out of a lockon.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

I use a Summit Viper and it is very sturdy. But there are some nice hang ons. I just prefer using my climber. With a climber you can basically hunt anywhere theres a nice straight tree...
That is the only reason I would say to get a climber.. Versatility
Old 06-17-2007, 09:50 AM

StrutNTom is the ss lounger hard to get into with that rail in front or does it swivel out of the way. i like the stand the only thing holding me back is whether it is hard to get in and out of. thanks

Quick Reply: Climbers vs. Hang-ons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.