Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you Hunt Year round if it was legal? >

Would you Hunt Year round if it was legal?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
50.00%
no
50.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Would you Hunt Year round if it was legal?

Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Default RE: Would you Hunt YEar round if it was legal?

negative. I voted no. Man it's way too hot in August to deal with a deer. I enjoy hunting much more in the cool weather of the fall. I don't even go (even in season) until it cools down a bit.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Spike

Default RE: Would you Hunt Year round if it was legal?

NO.....i would be single and my property would be a mess, not to mention possibly losing my job. Its tough enough juggling 6 weeks of archery season with other responsibilities now. It would be fun for maybe one year......
Old 06-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Do you mean deer hunt all year long or just hunt in general all year long?

I mean I hunt all year long. Those groundhogs and skunks fill up my time in the summer.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Dominant Buck

If I hunted crop damage in the summer, I would never recover the deer I shot. I would leave it for Gods creatures to enjoy. I don't want anything to do with those tick infested creatures. It's bad enough during late fall when most have dropped off.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, and I do. As Jeff somewhat states, if there's a reason-like reduction. No not cervidea, but critters like Coyotes and Prairie dogs come to mind. Shooting PDs with a bow only takes a few hours. It's a great way to unwind and focus. The shooting skills are definitely honed for the upcoming fall.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I already can hunt year around for Yotes here in Wisconsin but I don't! Too many freakin mosquitos!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Site Bouncer

I do hunt year round as it is. Here in Illinois there is always something to hunt. Now I am in full Coyote mode. I may not hunt with my bow all year........but I'm hunting!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already do in a way with just a few short breaks, I eat everything that I shoot and nothing goes to waste.

Here is how the seasons work.

cougar from the 1st until around march
turkey- april 15th to the end of may
bear from april 15th to june 15th
antelope from 15th of august until the end of september
elk and deer august 29th until the end of september
late deer- november 10th until the end of december in some areas
late turkey- december

I hunt some also during the any weapon seasons with my bow, so that extends my seasons even more if I want

then the cycle begins again!!!!

and no, there is never a lack of preparation or rushed shots on ANY hunt. I live eat and breath archery and bowhunting, not a day goes by without some type of involvement.

Also lack of preperation in the backcountry can lead to disaster!!!!! It would take all my hands and toes to count the kills over the last 3 years, and all have been at different times of the year. Some of my best hunts have been in over 90 degree weather without an ounce of meat being lost.

With the kill bug being quelled, I believe that I can concentrate more on the hunt and be more selective. When that fall buck steps out, instinct kicks in and the nerves are calm, if things don't happen this month, I will have a chance at something next month.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: W.T.F.

a lot of you guys are only talking whitetails, which I would not want to hunt year round, but I would love to be able to pick up my bow and go smoke a hog or javelina whenever I wanted to.

True, but again I wouldn't want to be out there for them either during gestation. Something about opening an animal up and watching a quivering fetus fall out and die doesn't appeal to me. Boars only for hogs.
With feral hogs gestation could be at any time of the year. Some sows have more than one litter each year. I have killed a pregnant sow. When that happens I'll cut out the backstraps and hams and leave the rest for the 'yotes. It may sound harsh but that is a very effective population control measure and can become a regular practice if numbers get out of hand and they start doing too much damage to crops and pastures.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, If Bowhunting Javies in MArch & hogs through the summer with an Exotic once in awhile I guess the answere is yes.
Just got back from Shiloh in Oklahoma hog hunting with 7 other fellas.
Near 90 but that didn't stop anyone from a great time. 8 Bowhunters & I think 18 hogs of every size you can think of was taken.

Quick Reply: Would you Hunt Year round if it was legal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.