HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Another how would you hunt this land thread - Topo and Aerial (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/193049-another-how-would-you-hunt-land-thread-topo-aerial.html)

Rick James 06-01-2007 09:27 AM

Another how would you hunt this land thread - Topo and Aerial

I learn a lot from these threads so I wanted to post one more. This is my buddies property (APAJaws) in central NY that I hunt VERY hard every year. The age structure of the bucks on this property is amazing for the northeast, wehad multiple encounters with5 seperatebucks @ 3.5 or better last year, and we know3 of them are still around and there were countless 2.5 year olds that should be still around.

It is a real joy hunting this place, this will be the 8th year of QDMA practiced on this property (except for 86 year old grandpa [8D]) and the results are amazing. There are only 3x of us that bowhunt this hard so there really isn't much pressure until gun season.

The red dots are stands, and the yellow spots are our foodplots. We hunt climbers from a LOT of other places as well all over this property as well, so don't be afraid to point something out that is out of the way.

Where would you hunt and why?

Killer_Primate 06-01-2007 09:34 AM

RE: Another how would you hunt this land thread - Topo and Aerial

This is what you do;
Take a real deal hardcore hunter. Set him up in a thick spot early in the AM and tell him not to move until dark, because the big boy is coming. You go back to the truck and drive to his place where his hot wife is waiting for something to do and sad since being left alone. You then explain that if you were her man, you'd never go hunting, or do any other stupid "man stuff". Later that evening you pick up the hunter and take him back home like any good friend would. It also helps to leave some of your dirty laundry around the area that your buddy will be hunting since you don't really want to have to help him drag a deer around that night, since you'll probably be tired.
Good luck I hope it works out,
KP

JNTURK 06-01-2007 10:40 AM

looks like you guys have done a good job. all stands on the flats leading to food areas........depending on your guys season....and how far down the ridge the deer are bedding you may want to consider dropping some stands a little down the ridge from the first "bend" at w hills rd.. on the left side of the road....also again depening on your season....how are the herds closer to the water down the ridge????

but other then that that is looking very good IMO

GMMAT 06-01-2007 10:47 AM

RJ:

I'd hunt it..........Upon receipt of an invitation!!;):)

markj 06-01-2007 12:38 PM

Hunt off of the road during traffic. check the "Would You" thread.

Seriously it looks likethe south endof the aerial photo, where the two roads cross. Right at your boundary where it makes a sharp bend and back. Heck man, check there.

buckeye 06-01-2007 01:04 PM

From looking at the setup, I believe a little to much emphasis is being put on the food sources. Early and late season these stands could produce but for the rut I think setting up more on the terrain features will bump up your odds.

Lot's of funnels on the southern portion of the map. That flat area to N NE and E of the swamp looks to be some good chasing grounds.

On the east side of the property just below your southern most food plot are those rows of pines that are planted?

HuntingBry 06-01-2007 01:20 PM

I agree with Buckeye. You've also got a steep drop down toward the creek. I bet deer parallel thatcreek and there are some good crossings. Also, I see a nice choke point in the lower center portion of the aerial where there looks to be a couple of clearings separated by a strip of woods. Areas like this always seem to hold some traffic.

Rick James 06-01-2007 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

From looking at the setup, I believe a little to much emphasis is being put on the food sources. Early and late season these stands could produce but for the rut I think setting up more on the terrain features will bump up your odds.

Lot's of funnels on the southern portion of the map. That flat area to N NE and E of the swamp looks to be some good chasing grounds.

On the east side of the property just below your southern most food plot are those rows of pines that are planted?
Yes, planted pines aboutall 15-18" in diameter or so now.The stand just west of them on that hard edge where they break into hardwooeds and the elevation slopes offI had a pretty nice 110-115" buck walk by at 50 yards that I didn't want to chance a shot on.My half rack 3.5 year old I shot in rifle season came out of there too and one of the other guys had an encounter with the one we found dead there also.

Most of the mature buck sightings over the last 2-3 years have been in the terrain funnels on the south and west sides,mostly on the west side though. The three standsfurthest west produced 4 encounters with mature bucks within 50 yards this year including one real slammer in the 150+ range, however that area is void of deer untilseeking and chasing starts.

Haven't been up around the north/east side of that swamp much. That is really big woods in there with a lot of HUGE hemlocks. Going to have to get in there maybe and poke around to see what is in there. What would you be looking for in there? It's pretty open without many terrain features to funnel them around............there really isn't any pressure in there until rifle season.

buckeye 06-01-2007 01:27 PM

Is that swamp bedding territory?

The southern portion of that swamp looks like it gradually sweeps down to your food plot sites.

Germ 06-01-2007 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

I agree also.