Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Head shots?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Head shots?

I hoping to try that on a pig this year ( head shot ) ... It's just so hard to a hog to sit still long enough to put one through the ear.. just would like to see if it drops immediately.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Site Bouncer

I have never taken a head shot. Iknow that they are deadly and will drop the deer instantly but there is just too much room for error with a head shot. This with a firearm of course. I also think that if you are that close where you feel confident enough to try a head shot, a shotthrough the shoulders would be a better choice.

When I gun hunt I like to take out at least one shoulder as it keeps the deer from running too far...... if they don't drop in their tracks.

With a bow I would never even consider it at all, I'm strictly aiming for the heart and lungs only.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Head shot?!?! That is for amateurs. I take them through the eye.
Uh......Bry....... the eye resides within the head .....
Ahhh, Tony, I never said which eye. The eye I'm aiming for requires a tail flick.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Bartender

LOL

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Head shot?!?! That is for amateurs. I take them through the eye.
Uh......Bry....... the eye resides within the head .....
Ahhh, Tony, I never said which eye. The eye I'm aiming for requires a tail flick.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a name for that shot, I'm sure someone here will remember it. I think it is called a texas something or other?

Help me out here folks...
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM

A few years ago(OK, more than a few), while I was home on leave, a friend invited me out to his lease. I had never hunted before, but the military did a fine job teaching me to shoot. A buck walked up close to the feeder, but stopped short with his body behind a tree and his head sticking out. It was a 75 yard shot, so I took it and dropped him. My friend was upset with me for taking the shot and I now know that I could have waited a minute and the deer probably would have given me a good broadside shot.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

There is a name for that shot, I'm sure someone here will remember it. I think it is called a texas something or other?

Help me out here folks...
Hahaha........texas heart shot!

Shot a doe in the head years ago during the old PA doe rifle season. What a mess........lol.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken 1 head shot in my life. Rifle shot. I had just came out of back surgery and was wearing a full turtle shell. That meant NO bowhunting or shooting a large caliber rifle.. All I could hunt with was my 223 and I had to have my brother's help to pack out the critter. I needed meatfor the freezer. I shot a cow elk standing still,right in the temple at 50 yards. Dropped her stone dead in her tracks.I doubtI will ever need to take another head shot again.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

TEXAS HEART SHOT!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Please don't shoot deer in the head, especially with a bow....why not just wait for an opportunity at the lungs/heart? The one time you miss by 2 inches and take a deer's jaw off....well......if you have any respect for the animal we hunt, think about it.

Quick Reply: Head shots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.