HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   T - TOTAL NOOB!!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/192792-t-total-noob.html)

kaw77 05-29-2007 05:53 PM

T - TOTAL NOOB!!!!!!

I am interested in getting into bow hunting..KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except what I have seen on the various shows on VS Channel.
I am cross eye dominant, cannot be changed..right handed - vision in left eye only. I shoot pistol right handed successfully; shoot long guns left handed successfully...but I want to shoot right handed with a bow, I doubt in the EXTREME I can convert now..too old .. 53 yrs but I want to get into the sport, should I forget compound and go crossbow?

squirrelkilla23 05-29-2007 06:04 PM

RE: T - TOTAL NOOB!!!!!!

There is NOTHING wrong with crossbows no matter what some of these guys will argue. It IS a bow JUST like any other. I'm not an expert with your problem but if they say you may not be able to shoot compound post a question in the crossbow forum and we'll help you.

kaw77 05-29-2007 06:14 PM

thanx, I was thinking in my case a optical sight that could be adjusted for elevation, windage etc with an extesion far enough protruding to the left would enable me to shoot right handed?

kaw77 05-29-2007 06:17 PM

I also am open to suggestions as to brands, etc Mathews Switchback I ve seen advertised.. fairly expensive.. what about the various package deals Cabelas has etc? I am not opposed to spending, upwards of $800 for a package or the like

TFOX 05-29-2007 09:16 PM

Why are you not wanting to shoot left handed?

My daughter is left eye dominant and right handed andshoots left handed no problems.

I don't have a problem with someone shooting a crossbow but it is not just like a compound.You eliminate 1 key element and that is drawing when an animal is present.

If it is a crossbow that gets you in the woods,then by all means,get one.

squirrelkilla23 05-30-2007 05:12 AM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Why are you not wanting to shoot left handed?

My daughter is left eye dominant and right handed andshoots left handed no problems.

I don't have a problem with someone shooting a crossbow but it is not just like a compound.You eliminate 1 key element and that is drawing when an animal is present.

If it is a crossbow that gets you in the woods,then by all means,get one.
I've drawn my crossbow while a deer was infront of me, and it was wayyy louder thana compound being drawn[8D]

txjourneyman 05-30-2007 05:47 AM

Don't forget the possibility of a traditional bow.

huntingson 05-30-2007 07:26 AM

If you want to bow hunt, then I would suggest trying to shoot left handed. If you find that it is simply not going to work for you, then you can go with a crossbow. That is assuming you would rather hunt with a long bow. Any decent shop will let you shoot bows for a while to determine if you like them or not. Either way, best of luck and I hope you enjoy it.

zubba 05-30-2007 07:39 AM

There is nothing at all wrong with a crossbow if a person just can't shoot a compound. Atleast I would rather see someone in the woods with a crossbow rather than not see them in the woods at all.

HuntingBry 05-30-2007 09:00 AM

I'm a lefty to the core. My right arm is a useless appendage for most activities. Being a lefty though I can't try bows in most cases so I've taught myself how to shoot right handed for this purpose. I've gotten pretty good at it and I'm sure if I had to I could hunt right handed. If I can switch after 20 years of shooting lefty I'm sureyou could learn to shoot left handed.

If you can't you can try shooting instinctive as that is not eye dominated, or use the crossbow.

Crossbows are a good altermative as long as they are treated as bows and not short range guns.

It IS a bow JUST like any other.
This is a foolish statement. A crossbow is not just like any other bow any more than a compound with let-off and sights is just like a recurve or long bow. They are very different. Not better or worse, but different.