Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range Finder

Old 05-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range Finder

The RXII looks nice and I might even buy one, but didn't we just have some posts about the "true ballistic system" stuff being unnecessary for ordinary stand bowhunting? I understand its usefulness for extreme angles or shooting at some mountain goat at 300 yards, but I just don't know if it makes that much difference in stand heights of 15-20 feet making shots of 10-30 yards. Feel free to correct me on the error of my ways. Again, I don't want to hear about crazy hunting scenarios (that it would probably be good for), but typical bowhunting stand shots on flat land.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: titleist_03

I got my RX-II on ebay for $214 shipped.
I just ordered mine Saturday from probably the same person. Was shipped out today.

Here's how I see it. If I can get the Leupold RXII for the same price as a Nikon 440 why would I buy the Nikon? Plus, guys like toys. The Leupold has functions out the wazzu.

If you do not want the tbs function the same person has the RXI's for $183 to your door.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:11 PM

I usually average 25 ft. up in the tree. at 40 yards, i think itll only be 3-4 yard difference. however, at 40 yards,every yard counts, its not like 10-25 yards you can use the same pin.
so, i think true ballistic range can certiainly help....every little bit of help counts, right?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GoGoGadgetGuardian

I usually average 25 ft. up in the tree. at 40 yards, i think itll only be 3-4 yard difference. however, at 40 yards,every yard counts, its not like 10-25 yards you can use the same pin.
so, i think true ballistic range can certiainly help....every little bit of help counts, right?

That equals about a 1 yard adjustment.

The difference comes more at steeper angles.

From deerstand heights,the compensation for the angle is not needed.

I like to tell people to range the slant range and shoot for the middle of the kill zone.The height will take care of itself.You want to hit slightly high when aiming downhill anyway so why adjust yardage?[8D]

However,when hunting mountains and steep hills,this would be a great asset to have.

I play with my rangefinder alot when hunting and have rarely seen it read more than a yard difference when ranging straight out to a tree or to the base of the tree.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

How about learn how to judge distance yourself and save the money ?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot tournaments for years and can judge with the best of them when I am shooting alot but it all changes when in a tree and even more changes when a deer walks up.

I reccomend a rangefinder to anyone that isserious about hunting.Especially if you plan on shooting more than 30-35 yards.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought mine more for rifle season than archery. I've taken some long shots over the last few years and would like to know exactly how far I've been shooting so my brother will stop ragging on me that it's not that far.

As for archery.

One of the places I hunt sometimes is 25 ft up and on the side of a hill with about a 50 degree slope. In a situation like that the compensation I'm sure will help.

As for saving my money. I grew-up poor and couldn't afford squat. Now i have the financances to buy pretty much any toy i want. So, I bought something I've always wanted to have. I say it's your money and you spend it like you want. The more toys the better.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:36 AM

Thanks for all your advice guys. I think I'm going to look into picking up the RX-II. As was stated above, guys love toys, and from the sounds of it, the RX-II has everything I'd need except for the illuminated background. Oh well, that's something I can live without for the next few years I guess. Being fresh out of college, there aren't a whole lot of excess funds, especially since we're trying to buy a house at the same time. I guess I should be happy the wife is letting me get this this year!

If anyone has any more advice, feel free to offer it up!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I Have the Bushnell Yardage Pro and it works real well for me!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:41 AM

That equals about a 1 yard adjustment.

The difference comes more at steeper angles.

From deerstand heights,the compensation for the angle is not needed.

i guess my little bit of research was wrong...sorry for the bad advice []

Quick Reply: Range Finder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.