Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range Finder

Old 05-27-2007, 08:30 PM

Default RE: Range Finder

I just picked up the Leupold III, ranges out to 500yds on a deer, 800yds on reflective items.I wanted to buy something once & feel as thoughI wouldn't have to upgrade in a yr or 2. It cost $270 @ the deer turkey expo. It has the true ballistic range. It is an awesome piece of equipment. I looked @ Nikon's top line stuff & Bushnell. I felt that u got the most bang for the buck w/Leupold. It is water resistant. The rep said that waterproof means it has to be submersible to 10-15'. In ordinary rain,dew,etc. it will be fine. He said just don't drop it in a lake. It has 3 setting for speed of bows. 5 settings for rifle. It also will compensate for angles & give a true reading vs line of sight laser readings. Another advantage is that for long range targets, according 2 the ballistic setting u choose, it will not only give a reading in yds, but how many inches to hold over the target. Take a look @ all 3 manufacturers, see what features u like about ea, then go w/it. The only disadvantage w/mine is that there is no background light. That was an xtra $100 in the Leupold IV version.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the RX-II, like it very much. If I lost this one would buy another one. I would get the RX-IIIit has illumnation.I use it to hunt whitetails with a bow. I think you would enjoy it.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got the RX II. I still have my old Nikon 440. I never had a problem with it, just felt like upgrading. The Leopold has everything I will ever need and more. It has a ton of options and if you don't know how to use it, you will think it is a piece of junk. When I first took it out, I was trying it on longer distances and couldn't get anything over 100 yards. Once I learned to switch it to >150 mode, it started picking up everything. The furthest I have been able to range anything is a tree at 457 yards. That's more than enough for anything I will need.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:14 PM

So are the majority of you guys recommending the Leupold RXII or the Nikon 440? What would be a good price to buy each of these at? Also, what makes one better than another, and what are some key things I should be looking for? I found a new RXII for $210 on ebay, would you pull the trigger on that one?

Sorry for all the questions guys, I'm new to this stuff. Like was said above, I want to make sure I get the best equipment I can for my money right now, so I'm not upgrading again in a couple years.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used the Nikon but I do use the RX-II andid for the season during 2006.I do like the price you stated, mine was $300. One thing I do like about the one I have is that it shows the angle of the shot. The rangefinder alsohas alot other features.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:23 PM

thanks for the reviews, I think i will definately snag it off the shelf. i like the idea of the true ballistic range, especially when bowhunting 25 ft in the tree. I will look into the RX-III. sounds like a great RF. i have the nikon 440 and like it a lot, but i just want to twiddle with different products, thanks

jmjuergensen if you would like, give me a couple days to think about it and if you want, i will sell u my nikon 440 for a good price. its only one season old and works great. i just want to experience different products... i bought it for $219 (camo). if your interested PM me.

thanks, steve
Old 05-29-2007, 10:12 AM

BUMP
Old 05-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

i got the RX-II and i love it.... helped out so much this past year.... But if you do not get the RX-II then get one that has the true ballistics system
Old 05-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got my RX-II on ebay for $214 shipped.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that in that price range the Nikon 440 or Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout Rangefinder would be your best choices. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Range Finder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.