HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Will keeping hang-on stands up hurt them? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/192168-will-keeping-hang-stands-up-hurt-them.html)

kdsberman 05-22-2007 01:51 PM

Will keeping hang-on stands up hurt them?

I have a Gorilla hang on stand i put up last year. I never got around to getting it down, and when i did it was way too cold and the straps were frozen together. I've walked by it and it doesnt look damaged or anything. Will this stand be affected by the weather?? Thanks

huntingson 05-22-2007 01:54 PM

RE: Will keeping hang-on stands up hurt them?

You'll have to check it to make sure the cables and bolts/nuts are all secure. It should not be a problem however since this was just the one winter. I wouldn't do it every year as it will greatly reduce the life of the stand.

GMMAT 05-22-2007 01:55 PM

I'd be MORE worried about the straps (if any) being chewed on by the critters.

I'd check 'em REALLY GOOD before I plopped my butt on it.

DROCK 05-22-2007 01:57 PM

I would take it down to inspect everything. Go over all the straps and bolts. The bolts may be rusted or noisey.Little critters love to chew on nylon straps. You don't want to be 20ft up and all of a sudden it comes crashing down. Just my thoughts.

Trembow 05-22-2007 02:32 PM

With a Gorilla, you're in better shape than with some others.

I left mine up for almost a full year (just never got up there to take it down) and when I finally did, I took it down and gave it a good looking over. Not a single rusty bolt or spot of rust, the HD foam seat was fine and luckily the strap wasn't chewed.

They do say that the straps should be replaced every few years. The problem being the stitching rotting before the strap does. I'm planning on seeing about a new strap for that stand this year as it is a few years old now.

I've left some "other" stands up for just a month into the winter season before and every bolt was rusted solid.

NOTE: This was not a Wally World version, which I have heard is a lesser animal.;):D

Justin 05-22-2007 02:47 PM

I like to take mine down every year, but have left them up in the past without any terrible results. If you can handle your seat fading or getting chewed on, the possibility of nuts/bolts rusting, and the potential for your strap getting chewed on, then leave them up.

Personally, I take mine down each year to help keep them in better shape and more importantly so they dont' get stolen.

Matt/TN 05-22-2007 03:03 PM

the tree could also be starting to grow around the straps. We have had that problem before when using chains.

tkstae 05-22-2007 03:21 PM

I left mine up for 15 months without any problems. The carrying straps were in bad shape, but other than that it's fine. I put it up this past Fall and took it down over Christmas and had a heck of a time. I got the chain jammed up, and had to take it apartto get it down. I must of spent 45 min. hanging off of my climbing stick, but it's ready to go again this Fall

janesburg 05-22-2007 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Personally, I take mine down each year to help keep them in better shape and more importantly so they dont' get stolen.

Same here.

statjunk 05-23-2007 06:15 AM

If the tree grows it could cause you many problems. I'd say take it down in the name of safety alone.

Tom