HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   New access to neighbors patch - Aerial and Topo - How to hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/192118-new-access-neighbors-patch-aerial-topo-how-hunt.html)

Rick James 05-22-2007 07:05 AM

New access to neighbors patch - Aerial and Topo - How to hunt?

So I have had permission to hunt this new patch for a couple of years now, I just haven't had time to get over there and scout it good until this year during turkey season. The turkeys were going nuts in there so I hiked in and killed one over there, and saw TONS of deer sign.

I guess my main question is what terrain in this would you hunt and why?

Red dots are apples, green dots are the new foodplot that will be a fall/winter brassica and turnip plot. The blue arrow is a MAJOR highway of activity that both APAJaws and I had some close encounters with last year and has also produced a LOT of big buck sightings during early season and chase phase. The single yellow dot is where I killed my second bird this year and that area is POLLUTED with rubs and deer sign. I don't think anyone has hunted this neighbors patch for years, and I don't know of anyone that has legally bowhunted it ever.

The big orange outlined area is my family strip of property, and the pink outlined area is the neighbors patch that I would like to hunt this year and want opinions on how to hunt.

What are your thoughts??

HuntingBry 05-22-2007 07:07 AM

RE: Access to neighbors patch - Aerial and Topo - How to hunt?

From what I can see, it doesn't look like a very big property or that it would hold much game.;)

I think you forgot to post the picture.

Rick James 05-22-2007 07:10 AM

RE: New access to neighbors patch - Aerial and Topo - How to hunt?

Woops, forgot pics! [8D]

GMMAT 05-22-2007 07:15 AM

LOTS of things go through my head, RJ.....

1st....Apples, water and pines..OH MY!!:):):):):)

2nd.....Food plots and inside corners......WHEEEEEE!:)

3rd.....You're REALLY not that far, from me!;)

It looks awesome, buddy.

MichaelHunsucker 05-22-2007 07:39 AM

First thing that strikes me is the apples. If they drop good, i would be hunting fairly close to them, maybe between the bedding area and the apples to try and catch a big boy on his way to dinner

MOTOWNHONKEY 05-22-2007 10:51 AM

That funnel where the yellow dot is and the other one at the dull end of your blue arrow. Those will be great mid morning hunting spots exspecially during the chase phase. I don't hunt food plots because you scare them out going in and usually are waiting for the golden hour in the evenings. Both them funnels will be great staging areas to. Gospel.

Rick James 05-22-2007 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

That funnel where the yellow dot is and the other one at the dull end of your blue arrow. Those will be great mid morning hunting spots exspecially during the chase phase. I don't hunt food plots because you scare them out going in and usually are waiting for the golden hour in the evenings. Both them funnels will be great staging areas to. Gospel.
I haven't spent any time where the yellow dot is other than killing a turkey there a few weeks ago, but you are spot on with your predictions on the blue arrow. Bucks chase does up and out of there into the field during daylight hours for us to see at least 1-2 times a year. That is also where they come into the field 50% of the time to get access to that foodplot/feeding area.

jmbuckhunter 05-22-2007 11:20 AM

I'd have a stand on the back side of the lake behind the house. A great spot for catching them coming down off the ridge to get a drink and head to the apples in the afternoon. Use the lake as a funnel and let your scent blow out over it so they don't bust ya. That is my first thought.

If you wanted to be real sneaky you could use a small boat or canoe to cross the lake and sneak up the shore to your stand and the deer would never know you were there.

YooperMike 05-22-2007 11:56 AM

I would have to say to set up close to the water somehow, I would say closer to the apples. This year I hunted an area that had a pond and I was amazed at the amount of traffic centered around it. These deer were walking about 1/4 mile through open field to get to it and they did it every night that I hunted there. With food close by, I think that could definitely be a good spot. It looks like there is a little cut where you could be on the inside turn but still see the apples and the water.

HuntingBry 05-22-2007 12:29 PM

Early season you have a nice saddle where the apples are and that edge that is leading to the lake probably has some major traffic. That would be great stand to hunt food/water sources.

The area with the blue arrow looks like a great cruising area for the rut. The terrain funnels the deer right through that area and the does should be hitting that food source. If you can get in thereundetected (maybe from the southeast corner of the field) you should be able to catch bucks cruising there looking for does all day long during the rut.