Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1st back tension shot = lost arrow >

1st back tension shot = lost arrow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st back tension shot = lost arrow

Old 05-20-2007, 09:28 AM

Default RE: 1st back tension shot = lost arrow

Shooting a back tension release takes a fair amount practice. You don't just pick the thing up and shoot at a 3-D target with it for the first time. You might get lucky, but chances are you will do more harm than good in the long run. You need to do a lot of blind and blank bale practicing sometimes to get it down and be confident with it. Then practice aiming while using one.

Rick, the bennifit of using one is it is a surprise release. You don't trigger it, so you don't have to think about triggering it. All you do is concentrate on aiming and the shot just happens when you have it down.

I feel when most talk about messing up a shot during the shot they actually did it just before the shot, not during it. Like if you drop the bow or grab the grip anticipating the shot. This is easy to do with a triggered release because your mind knows when its going to happen. In almost all cases the bad thing will happen just before or while triggering the release, not during the shot.

With a back tensioned surprised release your mind doesn't know when the shot will happen, so it can't make you flinch, drop your arm or grab the bow. By the time it figures out what happened the arrow is long gone.

The down side is back tension releases can cause aiming target panicinstead. Like havingtrouble holding steady, or freezing above or below the target.Especially if you are having problems with it going off. This iswhy I feel lots of blind and blank bale practice is good before you start actually aiming with one. Even though you don't know when the shot will occur, you need to be confident it will happen in a reasonable amount of time.

Proper form and bow fit is pretty important with this type of a release as well. If your bow doesn't fit you well you will have all kinds of problems with a back tension release. At least that's what I have seen.

Paul
Old 05-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

My response has nothing to do with Back Tension . . . I tried it a couple years ago and did not do too well with it. Rather, my comment relates to 3-D shooting . . .not NFAA sanctionedshoots . . . but meat on the table shoots.

My partners and I do 3-D's regularly in the few months before hunting season. We take turns determining where to shoot from but never use or pay attention to any of the stakes or distances provided.

We each use our own experience to judge the distance then each of us takes one shot and one shot only. (on occasion something will go wrong with a shot and we are permitted to take a second but not counting shot). We score a 10 for a kill zone hit, 1 for a hit anywhere on the body. Obviously legs and misses score zero.

Once everyone has made his shot one of us will range the distance and occasionallywe will enter our distance estimate next to our score and the ranged distance.

We don't get high scores but it forces us to accepr the hunting field reality that usually all we get is one shot . . . so make it count.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

maybe this time he will step up and shoot from the same stake as we do instead of the kidie stakes 15 yards in front of us[8D]
That my friends is the sound of sour grapes from a beaten man!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

That my friends is the sound of sour grapes from a beaten man!
No sour grapes here mate just a challange being thrown out,

Unless you want me to come join you on the kiddie stakes[8D]

But that would be like taking candy from a baby

Oh almost forgot hows the mouth??[8D][&:]

Old 05-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Paul for explaning. I think I will leave it alone, I have enough surprizes.