HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Raccoon problem..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/191468-raccoon-problem.html)

buckeye 05-15-2007 11:53 AM

Raccoon problem.....

I just bought this house and property last fall andI put some corn out with a game cam to check out the local wildlife....

In this photo I count 10 coons..... With them being out of season is there anything I can legally do to get rid of them? I wouldn't mind waxing them with the ole' BowTech but that's just not in the cards this time of year......

I had two pairs of geese nesting here and I believe the coons got all the eggs as both sets have abandoned their nesting sites.

What can I do to legally get rid of these other than live trapping them?

huntingson 05-15-2007 11:58 AM

RE: Raccoon problem.....

Well, you don't want to kill them or live trap them. I guess you could ask them to leave nicely :D

Why not live trap and relocate? That works for me. I relocate them to the local dump. They really aren't that bad in the cage for the most part. Some of them get really ticked, but most just sit there and are really quite agreeable.

bawanajim 05-15-2007 12:03 PM

Live trap them and relocate them a couple offeet from the shore line in three feet of water in your pond. Let them get used to their new underwater environment over night then set them free in the morning.[:o]

BowHuntingFool 05-15-2007 12:06 PM

You sure do have a coon problem! What up with the neck on that deer in the picture?? Sure does have something going on there, shedding or what??

quiksilver 05-15-2007 12:08 PM

GMMAT has a buddy who will come up and blast 'em for ya. J/K

Get a havahart trap, and just start catching them one-by-one. They'll growl and hiss and raise a fuss, but you can throw them in the bed of the truck and take them somewhere far away and release them. Just don't stick your fingers inside the cage.

EDIT: Sorry Scot - missed the part about not wanting to live trap.

buckeye 05-15-2007 12:12 PM

You sure do have a coon problem! What up with the neck on that deer in the picture?? Sure does have something going on there, shedding or what??
This gal is covered in scars.... She had a run in with something and sure seems to have gotten the short end of it.

What you do see there in the photo (the orange) is the summer coat growing in though.

Germ 05-15-2007 12:15 PM

Call

1-800-555-GERM:D

Now I see why you wanted to count them in the deer contest. At 10 points a coon you have 100 poinst locked up from your house;)

buckeye 05-15-2007 12:19 PM

Call

1-800-555-GERM:D

Now I see why you wanted to count them in the deer contest. At 10 points a coon you have 100 poinst locked up from your house;)
If you think that is a lot of coons.... You should see all the squirrles I have here

I would have the contest locked up for sure ;)

buckeye 05-15-2007 12:26 PM

EDIT: Sorry Scot - missed the part about not wanting to live trap.
It's not that I don't want to live trap them..... From the looks of things it would take weeks :DI doubt I had EVERY coon in that picture either....

I am more looking fora legal "quick fix"....

If live trapping is the only thing I can do than that's what I will end up doing. [8D]

huntingson 05-15-2007 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

It's not that I don't want to live trap them..... From the looks of things it would take weeks :DI doubt I had EVERY coon in that picture either....

I am more looking fora legal "quick fix"....

If live trapping is the only thing I can do than that's what I will end up doing. [8D]
Just spend $600 on traps and you will have one for each of them[8D]

They do get wise to traps over time so I would put out multiple traps if at all possible. Either that or just trap every so often so they don't get wise.