Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Raccoon problem..... >

Raccoon problem.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Raccoon problem.....

Old 05-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Raccoon problem.....

Huntingson - Price is contingent on whether the hides are blue or prime, and size. ...and yeah, if you know where to look, there are still somebona-fide fur traders still around.

A "blue" hide will have unfavorable skin coloration, thin or sparse guard hairs (undercoat) - and is not the best for tanning purposes (hair slips). Blue hides are practically worthless. Lucky to net more than a few dollars.

Prime hides are whiter, with good follicle, good undercoat, good fur.

NCtaxi - The actual value of coon hides varies greatly, and you'll be really hard-pressed to find a $50 coon. I know I've never sold one for that much. An average prime coon will sell for between $5-$12.

So, unless Buckeye has a few hundred coons living in the yard, it's probably not gonna be all that profitable of a venture.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:42 PM

quickest and probably the only fix for this time of year is a havahart live trap. people say the wise up to them, but if you relocate the trapped ones, it doesnt matter if that coon wises up. i had a similar situation as you at one of my old houses, and i can honestly say i caught a coon or possum inmy trap every single night for over two weeks. use a apple slice or two, and two or three jumbo marshmellows. great combo, that will draw em in, for sure. shouldnt take more than 2-4 weeks to catch and get rid of most of those coons as long as its legal to relocate. any stragglers come coon season, call me and my buddy, hes got a mountain cur that would probably die of happiness if it ran up on that many coons.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:53 PM

I don't know how the laws are in Ohio, but in MO they would be considered a nuisance, and on your own property you can legally kill 'em.....
Old 05-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could talk to your local cons. officer and possibly get a nuisencepermit to legally use your bowtech or weapon of choice. With that many around I am sure they are a problem.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:06 PM
dws

I would call your local wildlife officer and show him your pictures and talk to him. He might have a good suggestion on what you could do. I wouldn't be suprized if he told you to just shoot them and be quiet about it. If you have that many now, just wait a couple of years.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a trapper, it would be tempting not to snare them. Especially when there causing such a headache. Pretty nice coats on them...bout 15$ a piece.I dont recomend the live havahart traps. There so expensive, when you could make a snare for 3 bucks. Coons are pretty easy to trap either way.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM

I would just go ahead and start shooting them
Old 05-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

In Mass it is illegal to relocate wildlife. In MA,if it is on your own property and they are a nuisance, then fire away.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

I go by the "SSS Law".

Shoot
Shovel and,
Shut up

Old 05-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

huntingson - the taxidermy market can bear $50 coons if done correctly. Around here, NC, I can't get that, our fur pretty much sucks. But in his locale he can get $35-$50 for good quality taxidermy skins. I can get $10 eachish for meat market coons, and yes, as gross as it is there is a meat market for coons. Even possums. So if I know the meat guy, I can skin them, for taxidermy, get $10 for meat, get $20 for taxidermy. So that's a $30 coon. Heck I even heard about a bounty like money program somewhere where they pay $25 a coon for some kind of medical BS.

Quick Reply: Raccoon problem.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.