Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Someone I know...... >

Someone I know......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Someone I know......

Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Someone I know......

Someone I know.........his son shot a fox, last night,.....out of season.

He called me and asked me what to do to preserve it for mounting.

I'm no fox lover.....nor a hater.....but this gets to me a "little". I told him if I ever heard of it, again......I'd turn him in. I won't this time, though.....because he's a friend.....and I'm trying to find the REAL harm in it. I actually blame dad more than son for allowing him access to the firearm to complete this "task".

I'm a LOT "ticked" at dad, though.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Default RE: Someone I know......

I think that you did fairly well,if he is a friend, with letting him know that you would turn him in if you hear aboutthe same thingagain.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. a fox fur at this time of year isn't very good at all.
2. 'round here a taxidermist usually makes sure one is properly licensedand the season is in when getting something like that done.

I can see how that would bother you. I'd be quite ticked too.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Yeah....but the taxi don't always know when an animal was taken. A man could freeze an animal for (__________) and no one would be the wiser.

Yeah I'm ticked. BUT.....I'm not ticked enough to get a friend's kid in hot water. I think he got the point.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Yeah....but the taxi don't always know when an animal was taken. A man could freeze an animal for (__________) and no one would be the wiser.

Yeah I'm ticked. BUT.....I'm not ticked enough to get a friend's kid in hot water. I think he got the point.
I can appreciate the situation for you and think that you did well and made yourself clear.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the taxi knows anything about furbearers, he should be able to tell it was not taken during the season and should refuse to mount it. He could get in as much trouble as the taker if he is not careful of his record keeping.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:07 PM

You did well. I can't wait for the taxidermist to check his license!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Jim, taxi should be able to tell buy the condition of the hide it was taken at the wrong time of year no matter when he receives it. You might want to tell your friend that also if you want to keephim out of trouble. On second thought I would let him find out himself.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trust me, any taxidermist will know.

Taxidermists always check the condition of hides, fur, skin, etc...

They need to to be sure the hide will tan properly. Taxidermists see plenty of legal animal hidesto know when something looks different.

It is VERY easy to tell if a fox was shot in the Summer or Winter.

Fur will either be prime or not.

I use to trap I was a kid. the fur dealers always knew if a fox was taken early in the season or later by how prime it was.

Spring/Summer fox will look skinny and fur thinner. Late Fall/Winter fox will have longer, thicker fur and thicker bushier tail.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

It was wrong indeed.
freezing but wrapped good in trashbags will preserve it for a time.
the coat is going to have thinner summer hair, the taxi will know.
Its ashame especially if its a female this time of year, they have there new litter of kits running around right now. we get to watch new litters every year just 200 yards from my house. seen a couple newbys several days ago playing around. What ashame!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.