Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thick Area's

Old 05-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Thick Area's

Hey All I was just wondering about those that hunt the thick stuff, I found a few new spots out turkey hunting last week in some Really thick area's and was wondering is it better to hunt in the middle of the thick (after making a path) or on the edge of the thick area's leading in and out of them ?? I have found some really thick area's in the middle of pines and Oak grove's loaded with a lot of really good sign, droopings galore hard beaten trails, bed's you name it. it is there, I am just curios on the best way to approach these area's I normally hunt ridges and saddles but after finding these 3 spots I have to hunt them this fall. any and all info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks
John
Old 05-13-2007, 09:18 PM

Default RE: Thick Area's

I would not hunt in the middle of the thick stuff. The way it sounds these could be sanctuary areas and you dont want to disturb them. Hunt the edges where it seems deer enter and leave. It sounds like you should have some luck this fall!! I wish you the best
Old 05-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do much of my hunting on the "edge" of a huge thicket where it meets more open woods. I know they bed and hide out in it.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KSbowman

I would not hunt in the middle of the thick stuff. The way it sounds these could be sanctuary areas and you dont want to disturb them. Hunt the edges where it seems deer enter and leave. It sounds like you should have some luck this fall!! I wish you the best
Exactly!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Now I'm just giving MY advice.....based on what I have learned in a short time deer unting.....BUT....

The advice above is GREAT. What "I" would do is......start at a safe distance from the thicker stuff and move gradually closer as the season AND wind direction dictates and allows. If you set up right away on that thicket edge.....it could prove fruitful for that day......but also might hurt you in the long run.

I'd gradually move in on this piece.......see what's using it ....from a distance.....and you might learn their travel patterns, better. I did this in my hunting areas out of BLIND LUCK. I didn't know any better. it simply worked out that way (in my favor), for me.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mow it down and make a field..deer love fields! [&:]
Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

find a rub line leading into the thick stuff and then set up there. thats proble where the buck will exit and enter. the other runs that are " beatn" into the ground are proble doe and smaller buck runs..... my 2 cents

Old 05-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

BINGO!! my thoughts exactly, there is nothing wrong with observation stands to key in on the best spots to hunt the edges when the time is right.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Now I'm just giving MY advice.....based on what I have learned in a short time deer unting.....BUT....

The advice above is GREAT. What "I" would do is......start at a safe distance from the thicker stuff and move gradually closer as the season AND wind direction dictates and allows. If you set up right away on that thicket edge.....it could prove fruitful for that day......but also might hurt you in the long run.

I'd gradually move in on this piece.......see what's using it ....from a distance.....and you might learn their travel patterns, better. I did this in my hunting areas out of BLIND LUCK. I didn't know any better. it simply worked out that way (in my favor), for me.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not hunt in there bedroom, I would look forthem going out for a stroll, or looking for a date, or going to the grocery store. I would get disturbed if someone I did not know just showed up in my bedroom.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I love hunting thick stuff. As far as where I hunt it's in the middle because it not a bedding area they are more of a hang out/pass througharea. The deer in my area are all over the place so it becomes more of being at the right place and right time for something big. I see a bunch of really big deer every year but it's that 30yrd range issue. I find the deer are just so more relaxed in those areas.

Quick Reply: Thick Area's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.