Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scariest moment in the woods >

scariest moment in the woods

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scariest moment in the woods

Old 05-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default scariest moment in the woods

What is your scariest moment in the woods ?

Mine was walking to my climber, I had placed in a travel area several years ago- I placed the climber about 300 to 400 yards deep in the woods, I had to walk up a super narrow path to get to my stand - when I finally got there had myself worked up - only to see the seat of my climber tore to shreds - and my fanny pack was missing - things were in disarray - I could clearly make out teeth marks in my seat and quickly climb the tree to wait for daylight - about 30 mins after daylight a 300-400lb bear returned to the scene - watch the bear for about an hour back and forth - finally decide he ruined my deer hunt and decided to leave - made a ton of noise coming down and then had the same narrow walk out - very nerve wracking to say the least
Old 05-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scariest moment in the woods

Mine was when a group of us were going squirrel hunting on a neighbors farm. When we were pulling up to the parking area we saw his big bad stud angus bull we all were familiar with as to not mess with him, hehad gotten out of his pen somehow and standing on the dirt road that goes into the property. We finally had to drive around him as he was not going to move. It was still dark. We proceeded down the road 200 yards to park. We all got out and went our sepeate ways. Once the sun started coming up, I heard this loud snorting huffing sound. I was sure that bull was somewhere close. I decided to head back to the truck until I could see better. Once I got there, the rest of the group slowly trickled back to the truck, all with a look on their faces laughing but concerned. Once it got pretty light out we heard the noise again. This time it was almost on top of us. We looked up and there was a hot air ballon rising up from the other side of the trees. What a bunch of pansies lol.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:27 PM

Mine would have to be the time i stepped onto my hang-on(32 feet)and it slipped down about a foot or so. Itwasnt the first time i had sat in this stand either. It was a chain on with 2 ratchet straps and all 3 were loose. To this day i am not sure how they became loose. I suspect foul play . That was the one time in my lifeI could have been considered a "TREE HUGGER". I tightened it all back down and sat nervously through that hunt.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:29 PM

first year deer hunting I am sitting in my stand opening day of gun season and about 10:00 am A shot gun slug hit my tree a foot and a half above my head. I thank god I wasn't standing up at the time. I also quickly evacuated the stand. That is why I am not a big fan of deer drives also!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:36 PM

all great stories! except for livefortherut's! That's crazy and very scary! Holy crap man I'da vaulted outta that stand and ran for the truck.

keep em comin!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:48 PM

Mine get in tree satand at 5:45am. Settle in finish cup of coffe. When this screeech comes from above. Look up to my supprise there is a bobcat about 15ft above my head. Now I konw why the old man I was hunting with said carry a side arm even in bow season.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Mine was early one morning last October in Quanah, Tx I was bowhunting this creek bottom whenI hear a hog squeal. Then I heard something make a yelling noise that I had never heard before. It went on for about 10 minutes and then went quite but I got to tell you the sound made my hair stand up on the back of my neck. Anyways, I met up with the guy who was hunting in the direction and he witnessed the attack. He actually saw a mountian lion pounce on one of the biggest hogs in the pack that was under a feeder and the fight was on! He said that big hog put up a fight but it wasn't enough for the lion.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: MidwestJ

all great stories! except for livefortherut's! That's crazy and very scary! Holy crap man I'da vaulted outta that stand and ran for the truck.

keep em comin!

It was incredably scary and something I hope I or anyone else has to experience. where I live in s.wisconsin alot of "weekend warriors" get there shotguns and sling lead. I've heard more people than I care to count talk about going through 10-20 boxes of slugs in a 9 day season!! All reasons why I prefer to bowhunt!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I got caught/trapped in a tree during a horrendous lightning storm. I stood clamped to the tree holding onto the stand and the tree umbrella I had up. I got soaked and finally got down as the tree whipped to and fro.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wasstill hintinginto my stand for an evening archery hunt when something told me to look up as I rounded a corner. And what did I see?

Some moron at full draw in my direction. When he saw me look up he quickly turned and let down his draw. I just stopped and stared at him for a few seconds shaking my head.

Scared the crap out of me that someone can draw without making sure of what the target is. Imagine if he would have accidentally hit his trigger or his fingers slipped?

Quick Reply: scariest moment in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.