Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you think of this? >

What do you think of this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you think of this?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you think of this?

I'm wondering what someone else would think of this minor incident. Some of you know that I just refletched a dozen arrows. Six with wraps/duravanes and six with feathers.
I decided to go back to my pro shop (bad decision) to get a good bowcase since I gave my first one to my daughter to put her Browning Discovery in. I took along all of the arrows to shoot at the range.
Most nice cases seem to have rectanges of foam with slits to hold arrows. I was curious about this, and the owner grabbed my six feather fletched arrows and started shoving them in there, mangling the feathers as he crammed them together. I ended up having to refletch one because of the damage to the feathers. Keep in mind that this is the owner that tells me what a mistake I'm making using feathers.
Next time I need something, I'll go to Bass Pro and pay extra or just order it online.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What do you think of this?

Mangled a feather to the point of having to refletch!? [:-]I bet a hammerthe feathers on my recurve arrows daily.......driving arrows through them, bending them backwards and usually a quick smoothing over with my hand and they are about as good as new.
What did he do scrub the inside lid of the case with it?

Feathers take a BEATING........otherwise birds would have evolved Duravane wings.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know, but I couldn't get the individual strands (whatever they're called) to stick back together. Maybe a bad one? I'm new to feathers. I'm also too picky about having everything as perfect as possible. Well, I'm getting side-tracked. That wasn't the point I was trying to make, but it is a good question.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lemme guess? He doesn't carry feathers and he's trying to sell you on what he's got in stock? I may be wrong... but I HATE it when people do that.

Even if I'm wrong, let the customer shoot what he wants...
Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,
Not sure if he carries feathers, but I doubt it. This is why I decided to buy my jig and fletch my own, and I quote...."You don't want feathers... the deer'll jump your arrow every time. They sound like a freight train." (end quote).
Old 05-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Greg,
Not sure if he carries feathers, but I doubt it. This is why I decided to buy my jig and fletch my own, and I quote...."You don't want feathers... the deer'll jump your arrow every time. They sound like a freight train." (end quote).

He needs to tell that to the deer I have killed with them.

Feathers will start to show wear and will break apart after time.Nothing to worry about,it was probably fine.I have some that are missing as much as a 1/2" of feather and are still accurate.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

couldn't tell you how many deer, turkeys and small game I've taken but 95% of them are with feathers - I did have a stint with quickspins but soon went back to feathers - love em and I never had a deer jump the string to the point I've noticed
Old 05-11-2007, 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I don't know, but I couldn't get the individual strands (whatever they're called) to stick back together. Maybe a bad one? I'm new to feathers. I'm also too picky about having everything as perfect as possible. Well, I'm getting side-tracked. That wasn't the point I was trying to make, but it is a good question.
It's amazing anygame was ever takin before 25 years ago. Even more amazing that the native americans had meat at all then!!