Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No-gut butchering >

No-gut butchering

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No-gut butchering

Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default No-gut butchering

Someone'sreply on a gut-shot deer he had, once, got me thinking.....

WHAT would be a valid reason NOT to quarter a deer that's been gutshot sans field dressing and skinning?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No-gut butchering

GMMAT,
I'd have to say that first, I hate to waste anything, especially the tenderloins.
Besides that, I'm not squeamish and don't have an overly weak stomach. I've field dressed gut-shot deer, and while it's not pleasant (yeah, a little gagging along the way), to me it's just a penalty I pay for a poorly placed shot.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmm....what would be a valid reason TO quarter a deer that had been gut shot and not field dress and skin? i find that deer that have been gut shot don't smell any worse then ones that have been...maybe its just me.......if you want some practice shoot a turkey....then dress it out about 2.5 hours later...if you can do that then you can clean anything......or quail wait about 2 hours then clean...imp they smell way worse then any gut shot deer...
Old 05-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya littlechief....and I like the inner tenderloins, too. But when I look at the overall ......they're a small part (OK, no jokes on the size of my deer...) of the meat taken. You can still take the backstraps using this method.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

they're a small part (OK, no jokes on the size of my deer...
Who'd do that???[8D]
Other problems for meare that I don't butcher my own deer(don't know how), and when I hunt, it's always a multiple day hunt. I just want to field dress it, transport it to my processing station and get back out there.
Also, how would you work that anyway? I mean, do you go and check the deer, then go back out somewhere to quarter it, or do they have tele-check there in NC? It's hard to imagine checking a quartered deer.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm lucky. We can call ours (register our kill)in within 24 hours.

I also walk to all my hunting spots. I usually shoot the deer....go home....get the ATV....go fetch him.....and come home. I take him/her up an old logging road to field dress.....then into my building to hang and quarter (and remove inner TL's and backstraps).

It woud work fine, for me to do it sans gutting.....if I ever gut shoot one.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

hmm....what would be a valid reason TO quarter a deer that had been gut shot and not field dress and skin? i find that deer that have been gut shot don't smell any worse then ones that have been...maybe its just me.......if you want some practice shoot a turkey....then dress it out about 2.5 hours later...if you can do that then you can clean anything......or quail wait about 2 hours then clean...imp they smell way worse then any gut shot deer...
I agree turkey and grouse are by far the worst smelling feild dressing job I've ever encountered