Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which Bow

Old 05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which Bow

My funds are kinda limited, now that thats outta of the way, I am looking to spend around 300 dollars. The bows I am looking at are
Mathews Classic,
Mathews LX,
Mathews Legacy,
Mathews Q2,
All used of course,

Also I think I can get a newBear Element in my price range.
I already have everything else, just need a new bow. I have copper john dead nuts sights, Beman blackmax arrows with blazers and Muzzy MX-4 broadheads and a Scott release.

If it were you what route would you take...
Old 05-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which Bow

Of those listed, I'd go with the Q2 or the LX... some of the better bows Mathews has ever made.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:46 PM

another option would be to look at the mission line of bows from mathews, new this year. the cheapest model is about 320 and is a very nice bow for the money. my brother in-law ought one about a month ago and in that price range I don't know that you'll find a better bow.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

When money is tight, money is tight. I'm going to get a bad reputation, but I swear to you; look on ebay. You can get an 05 anything; Bowtech, Mathews, Hoyt....anything for that price. I live pretty rural withonly chain stores around. I have purchased every bow that I have ever owned (except the first, one) on ebay.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd buy that bear, since it will be new and have a warruty.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a used LX on ebay for $200. Best money I have ever spent in archery. I am fortunate enough to have a lot of bows, and shoot a lot of bows, but that LX is a very sweet rig, and its my go to hunting bow.

For a hunting bow, its VERY hard to beat that LX. Even with all the high ticket stuff going on these days. Its quiet, its one of the fastest bows Mathews has ever made (save the dedicated speed bows), and its easy to shoot.

My 29" LX, at 58#s with 330gr arrows is shooting the EXACT same speed as my friends new Drenalin at 28" 71#s with 367gr arrows. The draw length has about 10 fps to do with it, but other than that, it speaks for how good the LX is, or how bad the Dren is (which I don't think it is by the way, its a great bow).

One thing, be prepared to spring for a new string. Mine still had the factory string on it, and even though it had hardly ever been shot (it was a heck of a deal) the string was stretched and the brace height was way out of spec. Plan on spending around $100 for a GOOD set of strings and cables, its money well spent.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the q2 , a great bow , I hunted with one for years , and it served me well .
Old 05-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the help fellas, I shot the Bear Element today along with the mission x3. The bear was really quiet and really comfortable, but I really liked the mission x3 better. To me it was as smooth, quieter and faster. They were both 28 inch bows set at 60 with the same arrow. Even the same rest. I am really considering the mission, whats your take on this?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

All good bows....but.. I'd go shoot the X-force first, if I was buying new.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Swamp makes a very valid point... I shot Mathews for six years; was even a store shooter for them before finding my home with Bowtech.

If you really want that rig to perform, plan on a new set of strings. I know that even some of their Zebra Pro Staff shooters don't shoot those strings; they're that bad. And most people don't think highly of their grips, either -- most people replace with a Tronjo or Torqueless or something. I shot Tronjos on all mine, and switched out the strings the day I got them.

Other than that they make great bows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.