Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Minnesota Bowhunters >

Minnesota Bowhunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Minnesota Bowhunters

Old 05-08-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Minnesota Bowhunters

Hey everyone. I'm just curious who in the forum is from Minnesota? I'm new to bowhunting, but have rifle hunted in Northern MN for the last 10 years. I'm just curious where everyone hunts in MN? We own some land near Leech Lake, but Icurrently live in the Twin Cities. I was just curious what kind of public land is out there in the metro area for the weekends when I can't make it upNorth, or where I could find out where the public area is. Also, any other tips/advice you'd be willing to give based on your experiences would be much appreciated. If you'd rather send me a PM with some other info, that'd be cool as well, whichever you prefer. I'd be really cool to get to know some of the MN guys (and others in the forum as well) and share experiences with each other.

I know there are quite a few MN guys (and gals I'm sure) who have a ton of knowledge, and as a newbie, I'm just trying to soak up as much as I can.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 PM

Default RE: Minnesota Bowhunters

I'm a Wisconsin boy and I would tell you to check out the regional area of the forum as well for findin people from MN. Welcome to the boards!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the tip. I also put it in there, but I know there are quite a few MN people that frequent this board as well. Just trying to gather as much info as possible.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 AM

if your lookin for land I would contact the DNR directly or check out their website, as much as we may all dislike them, they generally will be pretty helpful when trying to locate tracts of land to hunt and many of theState DNR websites willhave small maps showing publicland. They can probably point in the right direction forgetting somegood maps of public land, once you find an area there are a ton of places online to get maps from (some free, some not). Another thing you can do is just start knockin on doors and trying to get permission to hunt any farms. There have been a handfull of posts relating tips on how to get permission to hunt someones land, if you look through those you're sure to find some good advice on that. The only other thing I know of is, is just drive the county roads and look for the public hunting grounds signs (we have them here in places).
Old 05-09-2007, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: jmjuergensen

Hey everyone. I'm just curious who in the forum is from Minnesota? I'm new to bowhunting, but have rifle hunted in Northern MN for the last 10 years. I'm just curious where everyone hunts in MN? We own some land near Leech Lake, but Icurrently live in the Twin Cities. I was just curious what kind of public land is out there in the metro area for the weekends when I can't make it upNorth, or where I could find out where the public area is. Also, any other tips/advice you'd be willing to give based on your experiences would be much appreciated. If you'd rather send me a PM with some other info, that'd be cool as well, whichever you prefer. I'd be really cool to get to know some of the MN guys (and others in the forum as well) and share experiences with each other.

I know there are quite a few MN guys (and gals I'm sure) who have a ton of knowledge, and as a newbie, I'm just trying to soak up as much as I can.

Thanks in advance!
Hey there homeslice. I live in Coon Rapids. I do quite a bit of bowhunting out in the state land in the Sand Dunes state forest and the Sherburne National Wildlife refuge. They are connected lands up by the Big Lake Orrock area. Lots of land that very fewbowhunt. You can do a search of this land on the MinnesotaDNR website.Search under "hunting land" and you will get lots of possibilities with maps of all state and federal lands in the state.
If you live metro then you may want to consider the Sand Dunes and Sherburne Wildlife refuge. There is other public lands all around the metro counties though that you can hunt as well.
Where in the metro you at?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Cool deal, I'll be sure to check those out. I'm just trying to find some public land to pop in a few times this fall when I can't make it up north for the weekend. I currently live in Plymouth, so not TOO far away from you. Are there any nice shooting ranges or 3D ranges in the area? Like I said, I'm just getting started with this, so any/all info that anyone has would be great.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:13 PM

As far as good shooting ranges, I shoot in my back yard, at a friends house in Big Lake and at the Deltone Range in St. Cloud when shooting firearms as well. I know that there is a nice outdoor 3D range at the Bunker Hills recreation area in Anoka county, but there are many through out the metro area that should not be too hard to find.

Below is the link the the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge if interested:

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/sherburne/

Below is the MN DNR webpage on available hunting lands in MN:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/tips/locations.html
Old 05-09-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the tips my friend, those links are very helpful.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in central minnesota,still do some gun hunting,but bowhunting is waaaaaaaaaaaay better in my opinion.Which leech lake are you talking about?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 PM

Leech Lake up by Walker. We purchased 60 acres a couple years ago, and it has been great. It has a little bit of everything. A couple large clearings, there is actually a lake on the north and south end of the property with a creek that runs through our property connecting the two lakes, and then in the very middle, there is a large hill with a 250ft. incline in elevation. Needless to say, it's worked out pretty well. Where abouts in central MN? I'm originally from Hutchinson, where are you from?

Quick Reply: Minnesota Bowhunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.