HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Minnesota Bowhunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/190925-minnesota-bowhunters.html)

Red Lion 05-10-2007 07:10 AM

RE: Minnesota Bowhunters

ORIGINAL: jmjuergensen

Leech Lake up by Walker. We purchased 60 acres a couple years ago, and it has been great. It has a little bit of everything. A couple large clearings, there is actually a lake on the north and south end of the property with a creek that runs through our property connecting the two lakes, and then in the very middle, there is a large hill with a 250ft. incline in elevation. Needless to say, it's worked out pretty well. Where abouts in central MN? I'm originally from Hutchinson, where are you from?
Originally from Hutchinson, huh? My wife is from there andmy wife'smom and grandmother still live there.

jmjuergensen 05-10-2007 08:04 AM

Red Lion, I sent you a PM

mudhead1s wife 05-10-2007 08:14 AM

Josh and I are about an hour away from the cities, we moved out here from the St. Cloud area, I have not been hunting but my husband does and he just got me a bow so at some point I'll probably get out. He hunts at a friends farm, and there are about 3 parcels of public land with in 15 minutes of our house. He went and talked to the guy at the baitshop who is into all that stuff and he told him were exactly it was. There are public land signs but they are small and hard to see. He usally opts for the farm though because he can put his trailcam out and it is harder to hunt public land during gun season, so you'll want to accomodate for that. And since you said you are new, and I'm sure this is a no brainer but make sure you scout the land prior to hunting it, find their trails and know where the main food sources are on the land. And if you can put your stand in a crossway of lanes to better your odds all the better. Hope your looking at those sights now you have to start soon if you want to be ready for this season. Make sure you check the regulations for food piles if you are truying to find out what lanes they are using. Hunting over a bait pile is illegal but you can put small piles to track their activity.

chucker34 05-10-2007 09:10 AM

Another thing you may want to consider in the metro area is special hunts designed to reduce suburban populations, etc.

I am outside of Willmar and there are lots of WMAs but hunting on private land is hard to come by unless you own it. Most of the farmers either hunt or lease to someone else already.

BTW, while most of the WMAs where I live offer some good bowhunting prosepects, you're going to have to do it from the ground because the DNR is cutting down most of the trees and replacing them with the "original, natural" prarie grass. And you're also going to have to do it before duck seasonand/or pheasant seasonbegins to increase your chances of success.

jmjuergensen 05-10-2007 11:37 AM

Thanks for the pointers guys. If anyone else has some info, please feel free to give it. Can't ever have enough help!

jsasker 05-10-2007 12:12 PM

I'm about 5 minutes from Mille Lacs Lake just south of Onamia.Right across the road from me is a good size management area.If you take hwy 169 north you go right by my business(SASKER MFG INC.)about 1 mile south of Onamia.