Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest >

Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest

Old 05-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

It just changes the rules, that's all.

Imagine if you were Bill Polian,the GM the Indianapolis Colts, and you assembled a super-bowl winning team in 2006, and were returning all 52 players for 2007 - you are the odds-on Vegas favorite to repeat.

Now, imagine ifRoger Goodell stepped to the podium on August 1, 2007 and said "this year, we're changing some things, we're eliminating the audible, and Field Goals are now worth2 points instead of 3. Sacks will also be worth 2 points each."

You can bet that you'regonna put your hand up and say "Hey, what gives?"
Well, I think if Bill Polian was on the opposite side of the current Colts, and were dealt a team out of random picks, some of which could possibly be rookies that made up half of your team perhaps,instead of an elite veteran offensive scoring machine, QB, recievers, off line, RB etc etclike Indy has, then I would bet money he would be okay with the changes. Some of the teams last year were stacked, thats just the way the odds are. Some teams had people that never have shot a deer before, some had the Indianapolis Colts for a team. This is for fun and I think over all it would make the contest more fun, for some at least, otherswill be upset. No ones ever happy I guess. I personally see it as a good thing. More people will feel like they contributed something at least. Maybe if they dont take a buck, they can enter a doe for like 25 to 50 points, and if they do get a buck before the contest ends, the doe entry gets wiped??
Old 05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buckeye what it does is include some folks that mayhave felt left out. Help people contribute to their team.

We may all talk that it does not matter, but at the end of the contest no one wants to have a blank by their name[] It justmakes the contest more inclusive IMO.

I took a ZERO in the 2005 contest because I didn't have a shot opportunity at a buck that I was willing to put an arrow thru, one "borderline" buck that I decided to pass on acouple times..... Although I saw "shooter"bucks, even got some big boys on video from my stand I just didn't have the chance to close the door on anything I was willing to put my tag on. Such is life, you can't win them all

I'll gladly take a zero again this year if I do not have a shot opportunity at a buck that "cranks me up".

Does anyone think if a team wins because of a doe it "lessons" their win?
I don't think a doe should possibly be the deciding factor in a "Big Buck Contest" IMO...
[/align]
Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Have I missed something in the last few years?

Big Buck Contest?

I thought it was the HNI Bowhunting Contest?

Not being a smart ass, I'm honestly curious.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 PM

I for one love the idea and agree it will make hunters feel like they contributed to there team in some way
Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I thought it was the HNI Bowhunting Contest?
Sticky at the top of the forum says "Deer Hunting Contest".

The "Big Buck" is a side contest.

I'm talking about the Deer Hunting Contest. The "Big Buck" side contest is self-explanatory.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:05 PM

That was my understanding as well, Jeff.

Just making sure I was correct in my thinking.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:16 PM

It may be titled Bowhunting Contest, but the rules have ALWAYS stated the team w/ the most inches of HORN wins.....Sounds like a buck contest to me.....I'm just sayin......
Old 05-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Dominant Buck

granted, mobo.....I'm just trying to understand what isn't fair about it. The people I would expect to be against it the MOST......would be the guys going after bucks, ONLY.

According to Rob....we'll all have an equal vote later in the year. I guess you'll cancel me out.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 PM

Oh, I dunno.....I'm not sure I'm really totally against it.....I can see both sides of it actually. I personally feel the way it is now, a team has really EARNED that win, know what I mean? I mean, for a team to pull together and shoot enough horn to win this thing every year is a pretty amazing feat....I just think that adding does in the mix would make it.....Easier I guess, and not quite as........Oh...what's the word I'm looking for.......Glamorous maybe???
Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Dominant Buck

And you know what, mobo.....I see that side of it, too. I really do. Tradition means a lot to me....and if I thought this would "T" off a bunch of people I'd drop it right now.

I honestly STILL think the team with the most inches of antler (BONE) will win. I also think there's likely not a person on this forum that doesn't think they can take a doe AND a buck (if their regs allow it). We'll probably (I don't know this...just guessing) get some guys who wouldn't normaly sign up for the contest based on a change.....and, honestly, I don't know if that's good or bad.

It's good to have more participation.....BUT.....I agree....the contest was formed around putting antelred deer on the gorund (and having fun).....and that VERY IMPORTANT aspect shouldn't fall by the wayside. I'd truly hope people wouldn't sign up who had no intention or prospect of taking an antlered deer. THAT would diminish the contest (in my eyes).

There are LOTS of things to think about.....and we have LOTS of time.

Quick Reply: Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.