HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   takeing youngster hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/190635-takeing-youngster-hunting.html)

bowhunter1984 05-06-2007 09:01 AM

takeing youngster hunting

my wife and i have a friend who has a 4 year old son and his dad wants nothing to do with him so ive kinda steped in as a father fig and i am thinking about takeing out with me this oct and wanted some input on how to keep him from geting board we are going to be siting in a ground blind on a food plot that the does hit hard in the afternoon but just need some thing to bring with us to keep him biz e till they show up thanks for any help

livinfortherut 05-06-2007 09:34 AM

RE: takeing youngster hunting

Take some little toys for him to play with and let him dictate the hunt. If he wants to leave after an hour leave after an hour. If you force him to stay longer because you want to, he will not have fun and never want to go again. Just keep it lite haerted and make it fun for him. Harvesting an animal is one of the least important agendas of that day. I just took my 4 yo nephew out on thursday for the first time turkey hunting se the post in the bowhunting forum called the best turkey hunt ever. he's now adicted and I took him again yesterday and he's going with me again tonight for the last evening of my season. Good luck and it's amazing to see the wonders of the outdoors played out in the face of a child.
Good huntin,
Jeff

IL-Cornfed 05-06-2007 09:55 AM

It won't take video games, my kids like to carry a small backpack loaded with snacks and drinks and that seems to keep 'em busy during the slow times. It also a good idea to hand 'em some binos, they'll investigate everything with some comfortable glasses.

THANKS for taking the time to introduce a youth to the outdoors and being the man that it takes to step up for the lil' guy! Best of luck to ya and good huntin'

bowhunter1984 05-06-2007 10:37 AM

thanks you guys

bloodcrick 05-06-2007 08:37 PM

I have alot of memories of taking my kids when they were younger. like taking my daughter turkey hunting and having a hen 3 yards in front of her feet while i sat behind her making soft putting sounds keeping it there for five minutes. she thought that was the coolest. good job on taking the youngster afield.

Killer_Primate 05-07-2007 06:46 AM

I've found that children like to keep moving. When I bring my two youngest, I let them rid in my pack. They'll get heavy, but small children have a hard time in the thick stuff. You can also teach them some hand signals which can come in useful since they're up higher than you. My five year old daughter, who was four at the time steered my head in the direction of a doe that was unaware of us. It was really cool, and she couldn't beleive that we were sneaking up on her. We didn't get the doe, but it was a great time.
Good luck and bring snacks (that don't stink).

KP