Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much does a bow depreciate in value >

How much does a bow depreciate in value

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much does a bow depreciate in value

Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 AM

Default RE: How much does a bow depreciate in value

As fast as new bows are coming out they depriciate pretty fast
Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 PM

how about a mathews legacy, with all top-end accessories? Thinking about updating to a new mathews and wanted to know what mine would be worth. Here are the specs: mathews legacy 30" 70lbs. Mathews 2-piece quiver, mathews rest, sure-loc lethal weapon sight and a dozen vapor carbon arrows.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Sales 101:

50% when you walk out the door and your returnpolicy expires. If a retailer can't make 40% on a sale they need to rethink getting out of bed in the morning. Now that's not all retail items but a bow certainly falls into that catagory. For trade in it's worst. The retailer wants to make 100% profit on a trade in so why allow a trade in deal of 50% when new is about the same price with full warranty. If your selling out right then you can do better.

It follows the same princible of used cars. A dealer doesn't need another used car unless he can make money. They have all sorts of gimmicks making it seem your getting one heck of a deal when in reallity he's not giving you any better deal for your car then he would spend for the same model at the local auction.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

A used bow or anything else for that matter is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

Sales 101:

50% when you walk out the door and your returnpolicy expires. If a retailer can't make 40% on a sale they need to rethink getting out of bed in the morning. Now that's not all retail items but a bow certainly falls into that catagory. For trade in it's worst. The retailer wants to make 100% profit on a trade in so why allow a trade in deal of 50% when new is about the same price with full warranty. If your selling out right then you can do better.

It follows the same princible of used cars. A dealer doesn't need another used car unless he can make money. They have all sorts of gimmicks making it seem your getting one heck of a deal when in reallity he's not giving you any better deal for your car then he would spend for the same model at the local auction.
Cabelas does not even come close to 40%, more around 20%
Old 05-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

Sales 101:

Cabelas does not even come close to 40%, more around 20%
Ah, now your talking big retail. Cabela's does sell bow's for a lot less then Pro Shops but they do not discount anything else. Please use the last sentence loosely. There are no major sales going on. Everything else is top dollar. Good stuff but you pay to shop there. I would also mention they pay way less for things because of who they are. Unless your the bean counter you have no idea what they pay. Everything is hidden and classified "For your Eyes Only". In my work, I sell 50% cheaper to major corps because they buy in the thousands and full price to small mom and pops. I know my company is making money (or I hope they are so I have a job).

Here's a good one, those leather belts at the big stores, $2.00 sell for $30.00. It' goes back to RD's comment, they are worth what ever someone pays.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hrmm. I wonder if the depreciation on my Alpine Sierra Magnum circa 1994 is aboout 100%

Someone told me that bowfishermen might want it as it is sturdy
and a decent shooter with cheap Cobra sight. But I don't think it is worth the trouble of trying to sell. Someday, I'll put it on my wall and think of all the fun and dumb#%$ things I did with it when I was young.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Bowfishing is exactly what we recommend guys do when they bring in older bows. By older, I mean more than 6 years or so.......We can't give them much on a trade in, and to be honest, we don't like to even take them because we'll never get rid of them.

Those older, round wheel bows make awesome bowfishing rigs. And, most times folks don't care if they get dropped in the mud and what not.