Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

stopping arrows

Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: stopping arrows

Oh man, I misread that - I thought you hit a "CAT" not a "CAR"- either way, it's pretty funny anyway. Good stuff.

"Honey, there's an arrow stuck in the tire."
Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've fixed old 3d targets with expanding foam. It works really well. Just spray it in the hole and let it dry. Once dry you can use a utility knife to shape it. You can even spray paint it to get it to match the other foam if you want.

You also get a back stop like the others have said. It's just safer. Hay bales are cheap and will save your arrows from getting damaged by your neighbor's car.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i suggest moving somewhere else to practice. sounds too dangerous, oh and i'd save up for a new target too.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't you want to move your target? I live in a neighborhood too but for God sakes man have a little common sense..... I digress.

If your arrowhit the car and it didn't do any damage then its obviously not going very fast.

You could probably stop those things with an old wool blanket or a couple of bedsheets strung up clothesline style. A tarp perhaps....

If you are only trying to stop pass throughs then it would help.But one way or another, at least shoot in a safe direction. No matter what sort of "backstop" you have, an arrow will sooner or later find its way through.

An arrow of mine found its wayunder my block target, through theholes in the chainlink fence, through the woodpile (amazing) and into the slide of my neighborsgrandson's swing set. Of course, no one was in the yard, but it made me remember that the safest shot is the one that is ALWAYS in a safe DIRECTION, not just at a "BACKSTOP".
Old 04-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I also live in a neighborhood and I do the vast majority of my practicing at the range because there are kids around. During the archery season I do occasionally shoot 20 yards into my garage, to make sure I haven't knocked something loose, only during the school day. I used to use hay bales for a backstop but they are tough on the vanes. Try hanging a couple of layers of carpet over a 2x4. That should stop a miss without tearing up the arrows. Besides you can probably get carpet waste for free from any carpet place. They have to pay to dispose of it.

HH
Old 04-26-2007, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: rankbull

tell your neighbors to move his car
I about spit my soda all over my monitor.

On a serious note tho you need to find another place to shoot. Why would you even have a target where you could hit something behind it? That is just plain stupid, and dangerous. In my neighborhood you are not even supposed to shoot your bow and can even get a ticket or have your bow taken away. Im not saying i dont shoot there but i have hundreds of acres of woods behind my house and not houses. I would find a local shop to shoot at personally.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Sounds like your neighbor's cat is already doing a fine job of stopping your arrows? Not sure what the problem is?

LMAO
Fran ... yah beatme to it!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q229/angelofdeth92/0426071704b.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q229/angelofdeth92/0426071704a.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q229/angelofdeth92/0426071704.jpg

this is my excellent shooting setup
Old 04-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing excelent about that setup...theres a house only 50 yards or so behind the target.

If your hitting your neighbors car YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.

Find a different place to shoot that has a safe backdrop regardless of your 'arrow stopping' setup. It doesnt look like your in a resedential area, im sure there is a better place for you to put your target. Come one man...your just asking for something bad to happen.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:21 PM

yeah ive been trying to find a new setup. my yard is an acre of land back in the woods a little and its about 100 yds long (may be slight off) but only like 40 wide so im not sure about where to put it

Quick Reply: stopping arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.