Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Margin for error" >

"Margin for error"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Margin for error"

Old 04-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "Margin for error"

Another post got me to thinking......

What's YOUR "margin for error" on a:

1 - 20 yd shot
2 - 30 yd shot
etc...?

I honestly haven't thought of it.....but "I" think a 2-3" margin at 30 yds is something I can live with. It's not something I STRIVE for (for I think we ALL strive for perfection).....but what's the general consensus (if that's a fair question)?

When I shoot my 3D deer in the yard (from several angles)........I know when I've exceeded my personal allowance for what I would consider a "poor" shot. I have, on occasion, stacked arrows in a 30 yd group. I don't do it every time, though. I also don't atempt these shots very often in the field.

My last round of 3D with Rob/PA .....we both averaged better than a 10 ring in 20 targets (ranging from 16-43 yds).....with the majority being in the 30+ yd range. THAT is what I'm striving for.

What's "acceptable"? What's "reality"? Do you even think about this?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Margin for error"

GMMAT,
Are you asking in relation to 3-D/target shooting or hunting with broadheads? If I'm practicing with field points and I miss by 2-3 inches at 30 yards, I'm kicking myself and trying to figure out what I did wrong. As far as broadheads go, right now I'm at my wits end trying to get them to fly right and right now I'd be thrilled with a 2-3" margin of error at 30 yards.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it all depends on if you talking for target shooting, deer hunting, turkey hunting...etc.

I think that 2-3" is very acceptable, however on a turkey an inch can mean all the difference in the world.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

LC....

Maybe I just got lucky with my setup on my ally.....but I tinker a lot with my bow. After switching to 125gr heads on my broadheads.....my arrows flew more true. Both my SB and the ally shoot BH's just like FP's.

My question "could" relate to either application, though (3D and hunting).

20 yds and in.........I think I should hit the SPOT I'm looking at. 30 yds.....and I'm not that accomplished to think I can hit it EVERY time. I'm comfortable with a 2" margin, there. I hope I'm not making anyone mad by stating my honest assessment. Do I hit that 2" margin EVERY TIME (3D and hunting)? Nope. But I do it WAY more often than not.....and I'm comfortable whenI hit a 10 ring on a target at that distance......and I'm OK with that margin on an animal.

Have Imade a bad shot? yes. Have I taken a bad shot? No.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 AM

How well your equipment (bow and arrows) is tuned increases your margin for error subsequently decreasing your grouping.

Just yesterday I was playing with a concept and it is proving to be something that I've never heard discussed before. I've got to do some further testing before I discuss it further, but it is a very inexpensive method that controls the string and actually affects the tuning of the bow. I'll be discussing it with those attending my seminar in hopes that I can get the attendees to help with the testing process.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 AM

WHATS THE OLD RULE OF THUMB, IF YOU CANT HIT A PIE PLATE ACURATLY?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 AM

It's clear from your post that you didn't understand my point in the other thread.

A3" margin of error TO START is unacceptable to me on aLIVE moving target. Any movement of that live target or any yipping of the shot by the hunter can equal disaster very easily.

You are making it sound like a 3" margin of error means you know you are gonna hit within 3" of where you are aiming. If that is the case then great........but it's not. It's the BEST you can hope for when you are STARTING with a 3" margin of error.........your PERFECT shot will still miss by 3".........anything less then perfect and who knows??.....could be anything from a terrible wound to a complete miss.........maybe even a quick kill......too many variables for me.

A 3" miss as my WORST case scenerio???.........SURE........but as my BEST case scenerio??? Not a chance.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

This thread has nothing to do with you, Atlas.

That's not being malicious.......just truthful. And...I've never shot at a moving target.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I dont have any problems getting my BH to fly true like my field points. I shoot just as good of scores with my BH as i do with a field tip. There is a couple of 3-d BH courses by me. So i feel that where I am aming without a dought is where my arrow is going. I dont feel that I have a margin of error like your talking aobut. If i miss 6" to the right then i was aiming 6" to the right.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

If i miss 6" to the right then i was aiming 6" to the right.
Not sure I understand this hall......why would you aim 6" to the right?

Quick Reply: "Margin for error"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.