Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it wrong to bait deer? >

Is it wrong to bait deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it wrong to bait deer?

Old 04-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is it wrong to bait deer?

I went to the homeowner and got permission to put corn out in the woods and put a trail camera up by his poolhouse to see if the deer are still feeding in the yard. I have taken 12 does and 2 bucks off this small property and it doesnt seem to help with thinning the herd.

How long should it take to see a drop in the herd at the rate i'm going?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

depends on the size of the herd, and the location. If your hunting a place that is surrounded by overpopulation, then your going to have a tough time killing enough deer on your own to bring the herd down.

Sounds like you need more help.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Horizontal Hunter

No CWD here in Massachusetts but it is present in both thecaptive and wild deer herds of New York.

HH
Yeah right. Trust me, I hunt not even 15 miles away from where CWD was first found in Wisconsin (Blue Mounds Area). Don't believe what biologist tell you. WI DNR kept it a secret for a while so it would not ruin the hunting industry. I would expect other states to do the same.

As for baiting, in Wisconsin it is illegal and wrong.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:18 PM

what the heck is goin on here.................A BAITING POST AND WE ARE GETTIN ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sticky this one at the top as an example for what this site should be!
Old 04-22-2007, 06:33 PM

i feed the deer after the season is over and during fawning months. the doe's needs to be healthy and have a good eat during pregnacy. mineral licks are good too.

if theres too many deer which your meaning doe's then you need to harvest more doe's next year.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think its only right if your life depends on it for survival. otherwise dont do it
Old 04-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think baiting is generally like the anti-baiters picture it (e.g.
a trance like deer drawn to the sweet surupy molasses he just can't resist, while the lazy hunter drinking coffee and smoking sits in his 4' x 6' treehouse blasts away).

Usually it involves feeding the deer rice bran , corn or soybeans pretty regularly on a timer = good. Deer are elusive and generally all you see during daylight is fawns, although you can have some early season success (especially with bows). But once the guns start booming most quality deer are not going to step out in a lane for that bait (food). It is an awful lot like a food plot in this respect. It attracts more deer and helps pattern them, but to get quality deer you still need to pick an ambush point or get them during the rut, etc.

I regularly hunt some land that has soybeans (farming) and we are fortunate enough to not have to do any baiting. But on some other property I hunt it is mostly scrub pine and surrounded by a lot of other similar hunting property and the baiting (feeding) is what keeps the deer around and gives people the chance to take them (almost always not in the act of feeding).

Back to the issue of too many deer. Based on what I said above, I don't think baiting is going to help at all, and if anything it will draw more deer (and other critters) to that property and will make it worse.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:33 AM

its illegal where i hunt
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let the arrow fly on as many does as you can this fall. It will help reduce the herd and will also make the bucks grow larger.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER
As for baiting, in Wisconsin it is illegal and wrong.....please explain????

Childers.....

i think its only right if your life depends on it for survival. otherwise dont do it ....... please explain????

Just curious do you guys hunt in white oaks, honeysuckle, near water??
Also how much land are you guys privately hunting??

The way i look at it is yes baiting deer will bring deer in, but you have to find where the deer are at to begin with! I cant just go out and throw corn anywhere in the woods and expect all the deer to change their daily route just to come over and eat up all the corn? I use bait as a chance to insure a good twenty or so yrd shot? I dont consider myself LAZY as a matter of fact i put some hard work in and out of season to put bait out!

Quick Reply: Is it wrong to bait deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.