Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cable slide ??

Old 04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Host of Hosts

Default Cable slide ??

If I install a cable slide on my bow that brings the string a bit closer to the slide as compared to the factory slide, what if any problems or changes can I expect?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM

Default RE: Cable slide ??

On your Vectrix or Guardian? Cuz on Achery talk a guy put an after market cable slide on his guardian and it caused some serious stress on the cams which caused some cam lean. I'm no expert so take this as you will but i would contact bowtech to see if your specific model will cause any problems.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Host of Hosts

I was considering putting one on both. After I thought about it and put one on the Vectrix I noticed the difference between the factory one and the new one. I haven't shot it yet, but I think I may have fallen into the archery product gimmick buy. I bought it cause it looked real cool. If you want to know it was the new Alpine Mach 5 cable slide. It doesn't even slide well on the Bowtech Guardian. I think they may be headed for e-bay.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

The Hoyt cable slides are actually very good. I used to use the Simms teflon slides but have been unable to see any benefit to using anything other than the Hoyt factory slide. I have had my bows in the pouring rain for days and never had chattering problems.

I can't comment on the Bowtech slide as I have never owned a Bowtech.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Honestly, I put a teflon one on my Guardian because I didn't like the way the factory slide slid on the rod. I could feel something when I drew it real slow so put it on Lens draw machine and you could see it chatter as it moved back. It had a little chatter to it so I dumped it. The one I put on has about the same distance as the factory one.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why would something like a cable slide need to be replaced on a $700 or $800 bow like the Vectrix or Guardian? Wouldn't you think they would already have quality componants istalled?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Its not that they need to be replaced on these bows in particular, however there are a number of high quality bows that come with a more conventional plastic cable slide as opposed to one that is teflon impregnated or fully teflon.

When these plastic slides get wet, they may chatter on the draw, often making noise.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

redline is right. my hoyt cable slide is black plastic. it chatters like heck when its wet. rediculously...
Old 04-19-2007, 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: early in

Why would something like a cable slide need to be replaced on a $700 or $800 bow like the Vectrix or Guardian?
Great question.

Wouldn't you think they would already have quality componants istalled?
I would..............but they don't. Factory slides are junk compared to aftermarket options. How much more could it cost?? $10? Bows go up every year anyways so I doubt anyone would notice and I really doubt anyone would care because they are getting a better product for the money and less hassle.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Host of Hosts

David, Have you noticed any drag? I have one of those Teflon ones to, like pictured on your bow and it seemed to be pretty tight on the cable gaurd. But you are right that one is pretty close to the same distance as the factory.