Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific??? >

Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Old 04-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

[blockquote]quote:

When I retire from active duty and get a "real job", I'm sure that will change.[/blockquote]

Don't count on this, depending on what kind of job you get. You should talk to my buddy who is a retired chief. He hasn't picked up his bow in years.
Bryan, I think you misunderstood me. I took these orders thinking I would have some free time on my last tour. I didn't know I'd be virtually unemployed. I have all the free time in the world right now. I'm afraid that when I retire, I won't have any free time.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, it sounds like I got it bass ackwards. Sorry.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:15 PM

L/C, I understand your frustration. It seems like almost everytime I go to make a big purchase(truck, boat, bow, gun, guitar...) there is some a**hole salesman trying to tell me my ideas are stupid or wrong. Usually after talking with them for a little bit I realize I have more knowledge of the subjact than them, because if I'm going to spend a lot of money I'm going to learn all I can and get it right. I'm not saying that all salesmen are jerks, if they have sound advice I will take it, but it should be given in a curteous manner, and in my experience the knowledgable salesmen are. Also, I've used Spitfire mechanicals for years and they have always worked great for me and my brother.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Little Chief, the lighter you go in arrow weight, the more you chase speed, the more technology you include in your gear, the more you have to be scientific in your entire approach to hunting.

I've been following your posts lately and it seems to me you've got a good, solid setup. Not too heavy, not too light.So, don't worry about it. Go shoot and practice. Get to where you thoroughlyknow your bow and how it shoots under all kinds of weather and lighting conditions. Then put the arrow where it's supposed to go and tag your critter.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, Arthur.
I'mconfident that my setup is good now. There are always those little annoying, somewhat insignificant questions that pop into my mind though. One, for instance, is that I was told that my drop away rest, I should shoot with the cock vane down. ??? With a drop away, what difference does it make? Looks like you'd have a better chance of clearance shooting cock vane up? Little things like that keep popping into my mind, and once I start wondering about something, I look for an answer. I've never been someone who could say "I don't know how it works, but it does, and that's good enough for me." I HAVE to know what makes it work, or in the case of the question above, WHY it has to be that way.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, best to shoot with the cock vane down, if the rest has a prong type support. Sometimes the rest doesn't drop away quick enough and you could get fletch contact.So, set up your arrows like you're using a standard prong rest and you'll be in good shape.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

don't get me wrong, understanding what's happening in your setup is a good thing, but sometimes people try and make out that there is way more to bow tuning than actually is.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't take it the wrong way. I understand. I was just always one of those kids who would take my walkman apart to see how it worked. It's the "I gotta know how it works" in me. Back when we used to overhaul power unit engines back on the farm I grew up on, I drove my dad crazy with questions about how each part worked.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

don't get me wrong, understanding what's happening in your setup is a good thing, but sometimes people try and make out that there is way more to bow tuning than actually is.
Exactly........it's NOT rocket science........and shop owners don't want to betold what to do. I know if you came into my business and tried to tell me what to do I would send you back the way you came.

Havingsaid that you have to decidewhere you are comfortable. If you want to tinker andoveranalyze everything about your setup then there is someone out there that will do the same..........if you want awell, tuned, straight shooting bow and have no desire to discuss KE, cam lean, FOC, aerodynamics, perfect form, and fps then there are shops that will give you thatas well.

You have to realize that many guys have been doing this for decadeswith no problems and then when they hear people making things 100 times more complex they just roll their eyes. Who's right?? Hard to say if they both get good results. More importantly find a good fit for your personality, style, and needs.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Substitute HUNTING for TUNING issues.....and everything Atlas said is ALSO true.

It ain't rocket science. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.