Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you wear ? >

What do you wear ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you wear ?

Old 04-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you wear ?

Just curious what you guys wear on cold mornings until you get to your parking spot and change. Do you strip to the skivvies at your truck and change or only partially. Just would like to hear some opinions on this. I personally have to drive about 14 miles then another 1/2mi on atv to get to my stand area. I am trying to figure out how to get by with as little foreign scent from truck and ATV odors as possible before reaching my stand area. Thanks in advance for the replies.

LT
Old 04-15-2007, 12:57 PM

Default RE: What do you wear ?

This is a tough one - especially in regard to the ATV odors. It is going to undo all that careful preparation - like showering with special soap, washing all your hunting garments every night at the laundramat in scentless soap, etc. I might be tempted to just walk it rather that ride the ATV. I guess you could carry all your hunting clothes - boots and all - in a sealed bag and put them on in the woods after the ATV ride. The ATV is going to leave some residual odors in the area any way you look at it. Can you get by without it?

Old 04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

LT, I do change right down to me skivies on the coldest of midwestern mornings outside of my truck. I shower with no-scent everything before leaving the house extremely early. I do not wear a hat (even while driving)until I get to my stand since thats where I seem to sweat the most. The clothes I wear in the truck on my way may have some foreign scent but very little (I don't smoke). I do not wear the clothes I wore to dinner the night before, an old shirt thats been lying on the floor etc. etc. New clean socks, clean underwear, brush my teeth, clean my ears.. and really just being very hygienic.

I can get into even more in depth on my own scent control practices.. but I hate to bore people.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:01 PM

I see your problem. The ATV is what will get you. 1/2 mile walk isn't far and I would try to do without that.

On our land we have a cabin that has no running water or electricity (I love that). We have a wood stove that was my grandfathers from the depression era. It is virtually impossible for my clothes not to smell of foreign scents. So I focus not necessarily on scent killing tools, but more on scent hiding tools.

Fox pee, skunk scent, pine scent, white oak scent....anything to distract the deer when he/she gets close. The skunk scent I will drop a few drops from the tree stand if need be. Otherwise I usually drag something along my walk like Tinks 69 if the occasion calls for it.

Best of luck.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I change down to my skivies when I get to my lease. I wear a clean set of sweats each time on the way to the lease. I wash these sweats just like they were my camo and store them with my camo. I also leave the atv in the truck until I need it to haul a carcass out of the woods. My farthest stand from the truck is about 3/4 mile. It figures that its my favorite stand.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Dominant Buck

It depends on how far I'm traveling, where I'm going, what the weather is etc. I've done the whole gammit and find as I get older I tend to not to want to change clothes 3 or 4 times a hunt.[8D] I'll wear my undies most of the time and maybe my bottoms of camo. I ususally drive to the woods with the windows down and the heat off. I hate getting warm and then getting out and getting cold. If I drive in fridgid air it feels warm when you stop moving and get out. I'll put the last couple layers of warmth on when I get there. Same with boots if it's a long drive. I still spray everything down when I get there and go on.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

I wear clothes in my car that have be was scent free, (They go right in a bag out of the dryer) When I get to my spot I get down to my boxer briefs and get dressed. My first layer is scent lock baselayers.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Site Bouncer

I grab my hunting clothes that are hung up in my basement, I put them on, if it's cold I leave the outer layers off till I get to my hunting spot. I then put the outer layers on, spray myself with some scent eliminator and go hunt.

Sometimes people make this way more difficult than it has to be. My results speak for themselves, I have killed many many deer from does to P&Y bucks, as well as all other types of game animals. I have killed them with my firearms and bow and have been doing it for many years now. All this talk about scent lock this and driving to my hunting spot in your skivies that, is all very amusing to me. Some go as far as to store their clothes in plastic sealed tubs or put leaves and dirt in with them or them little wafer deals that are earth scented....it's a hoot!

Me, I like to keep things simple, I hang my hunting coats and bibs on a bar under my basement stairs in the unfinished utility room. The rest of the clothes go in a plastic cabinet I purchased from Home Depot.

Works for me....I don't see the problem....I really don't

Here are some pics in case you don't believe me.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Site Bouncer

Another

Old 04-16-2007, 03:34 AM

i put my scent suit on about a 100 yards from stand

Quick Reply: What do you wear ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.