Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are hunters selfish?? >

Are hunters selfish??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are hunters selfish??

Old 04-16-2007, 07:49 AM

Default RE: Are hunters selfish??

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach him to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life.

I agree with a lot of what you said. There is nothing wrong with mentoring a beginner or helping out a friend that is down. There is also nothing wrong with letting everyone in the world hunt your stands if that sits well with you. Your point about helping the future of the sport is right on the money, so I ask - HOW MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE HAVE VOLUNTEERED TIME TO THEIR STATE BOWHUNTING ORGANIZATION? Letting someone hunt your stand is like giving him a fish,one maneats for a day. The way to address the future of hunting is by getting involved with pro-hunting organizations. Being a member is a good start but "getting involved" is more. I wonder how many people who have responded to this thread and called me or others like me "selfish" have actually volunteered years of their own time to a pro-hunting organization that is working for the future of ALL hunters. It is real easy for someone to bash others on an internet thread as they point out a problem but how many of them have actually did something to address the real problem?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Here is a question we could ask ourselves,if you had a day off to go hunting and everything was lining up just right and then a couple of days before the hunt you are asked by someone (kid, relative, friend, etc) who is a reponsible person who has shown interest in hunting(that maybe doesn't have the same oppurtunities as you) if you might be able to take them out some time, would you(there is really no wrong answer)?
IF they agreed to go in "clean".....and respect my landowner's requests.....and were conscious of MY wishes as to what to and what NOT to harvest.......

YES!

I'd look at it with GREAT anticipation. MY "rule" this coming weekend....is for Rob/PA to shoot until he connects on a tom. I'll be happy behind the camera....and will ONLY shoot if it's a jake (and only then....because Rob's chosen not to shoot a jake)......or if Rob connects and has his bird in hand. I'll actually get more from the experience just being the host. I've relayed that to him, already.

I hope we have some good stories and footage to show, next week.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope noone is taking my posts as bashing, I'm no expert on anything just posting an opinion. I agree/relate with Germs last post a lot and in that sense I guess most of us are a littleselfish some of the time, in my post on pg. 3 I tried to say something similiar justdidn't sum it upas well. The numbers are what worries me Germ would only hunt with 10 out of 110 guys in his club and my club is not that big but out of our 70 members there are only about3 or 4 I hunt with and would invite to my farm. A lot of the guys either don't hunt hard and take it seriously or have "questionable" techniques.

Every time I read the word selfish it makes me want some shellfish, I'm not picky shrimp, blue crabs, crab legs, something!!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:20 AM

i can see where you are going with this, i noticed after reading that i could pick out a couple things that make me that way... like hunting gear, which we all know we "NEED" right.. well maybe not to the point that while spending hundreds of dollars on a new bow for the season, and when we have one of last years models than do the job, when we could take tha money to invest on something for the family, kids , wife or even something like retierment or just plain savings account... I know i get wraped up in it all sometimes
Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

I hope noone is taking my posts as bashing, I'm no expert on anything just posting an opinion. I agree/relate with Germs last post a lot and in that sense I guess most of us are a littleselfish some of the time, in my post on pg. 3 I tried to say something similiar justdidn't sum it upas well. The numbers are what worries me Germ would only hunt with 10 out of 110 guys in his club and my club is not that big but out of our 70 members there are only about3 or 4 I hunt with and would invite to my farm. A lot of the guys either don't hunt hard and take it seriously or have "questionable" techniques.

Every time I read the word selfish it makes me want some shellfish, I'm not picky shrimp, blue crabs, crab legs, something!!
A pile of guys are gun huntersSo no need to hunt with them.

The others just have a different view on hunting than me. Most of the guys in MI bait, I just do not like to bait. I am not saying they are not my friends, I just do not talk hunting with them much.

One of best friends at the club I do not hunt with. He runs out 30 mins before dark to his bait pile. Yes he shoots some deer.

I said I do not want to bow hunt with most at my club, never said they were not my friends. I do hang out with my core group the most. My other issue is I do not drink, smoke or gamble. These are events happen at our club a lot.

Most I do not let hunt my property for 1 reason, they would screw it up, LOL Sorry just how I feel. I do help all these guys with their bow setups, computer issues, and stand placements. I just do not want to hunt with them.

If someone other than my ten hunting buddies at my club ask me to buy land and hunt with them I would say no.

One of my buddies bought land with member I would not have, and it is a complete nightmare for them both. They do not even speak to each other[]

Yes Atlas it comes down to the word SELFISH for them both.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The club I hunt with has good guys too but the majority don't hunt like I hunt. I still have a good time at our club get togethers acd cookouts and things of that nature. A handful of the guys are good friends from high school/college and such but they have a very different approach to huntingthan me. Yes they are still good friends butour huntingmethods are worlds apart.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

The club I hunt with has good guys too but the majority don't hunt like I hunt. I still have a good time at our club get togethers acd cookouts and things of that nature. A handful of the guys are good friends from high school/college and such but they have a very different approach to huntingthan me. Yes they are still good friends butour huntingmethods are worlds apart.
Bingo I shot a 3d with most of them on Sunday, and had a great time
Old 04-16-2007, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Outdoor writer

I wonder how many people who have responded to this thread and called me or others like me "selfish"

Where did anyone call you or anyone else in particular selfish??
Old 04-16-2007, 09:14 AM

Boy, this topic certainly went down the tubes..........people who started out saying one thing are now doing a 180 and all kinds of qualifiers are being added to each and every post.

It was just a general question.........with a few examples that some people seem fixated on. You guys are reading way too much into this.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Boy, this topic certainly went down the tubes..........people who started out saying one thing are now doing a 180 and all kinds of qualifiers are being added to each and every post.

It was just a general question.........with a few examples that some people seem fixated on. You guys are reading way too much into this.
Ahh yes, butbit more complicated Mr. Atlas.

Poorly ask question, on what hand we are, and I the other we're not

Great example is guy who never lets anyone hunt his land, he shoot a monster and a couple does. He donates the meat to Hunters to the Hungry.

Is he selfish hunter?

IMO yes and no[&:]

Quick Reply: Are hunters selfish??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.