Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanical BH failure >

Mechanical BH failure

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical BH failure

Old 04-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mechanical BH failure

We all hear about them. Who has actually had one that they know failed to open, broke blades, etc? I always laugh when I hear "My (insert name) mechanical didn't open and I lost my deer." When they lose a deer with fixed blades, its a "bad hit". I have shot many types of BH's over the years. I started with Razorback 5's, moved onto serrated blades (idk what I was thinking there) then muzzys and now grim reapors. I have been using mechanicals since 03 w/o any problems at all. Just wondering if any one has actual pics of mechanical failures.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mechanical BH failure

I have had the tips on some older Rocky Mountain Snypers curl, but that's as close as I've come in 15 years of using mechanicals to a failure.

Oh, and each time the tip curled, there was a dead deer not too far down the trail.

This should be fun...

Old 04-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before I went back to Muzzy's I used to shoot Wasp Jak Hammers mechanicals in one season I had 4 shots wherethe blades opened in flight. Nothing will screw up your arrow flight more than a mechanical broadhead that the blades open in flight.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

For those who haven't noticed..the Broadhead survey is complete and a sticky at the top. It's seems fixed blades still are king!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got sucked into these "scorpions" years ago. Not the NAP version, but some other brand. 4 blade, 2 long 2 short. I have had these open in flight and break blades off in pass through. I have 2 left and use them for turkey only, just case they open so frigging big.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: gutshot

Before I went back to Muzzy's I used to shoot Wasp Jak Hammers mechanicals in one season I had 4 shots wherethe blades opened in flight. Nothing will screw up your arrow flight more than a mechanical broadhead that the blades open in flight.
And it took you 4 years to switch?[8D]
I might try the Rage 2-blades out this year, depends on whether I end up in Colorado or Louisiana...
Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean. I haven't hunted yet, but out of six Grim Reapers, I had two of them open in flight. That's a real confidence breaker.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Depending on what mechanical you are shooting and how fast your bow is there are different positions where to place the rubber o ring. My friend shoots the wasp jak hammer and hasnt had a problem and I shoot eastman firstcut's and have never had a problem. I have also heard of people using two retention o rings. There is a very slim chance that on impact the dull spur of the blade will not catch on the hide or flesh to open the blades.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I spined a big 4x4 about 5 years ago at 8 yards, facing directly awaywith a Triska SK 125 gr. head (76# draw - aluminum 29" arrow - KE through the moon).

This was a shot I'd made many times before with fixed heads. This was my first (and last) experience with high-diameter mechanicals.

Well, the arrow was perfectly placed, and penetrated just enough to bury the head of the ferrule in the bone, and crush the entire unit, shearing off two blades entirely, and demolishing the entire head. The deer ran about 10 yards before the arrow fell out, and I got the joy of watching him stroll across a 100 acre field and into another wood plot.

The head looked like you fired it into a concrete wall. Complete failure.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

I have never heard from anyone that took a "good" shot on a deer with mechs and have any problems. 99% of the crap I do hear about mechs is second hand info from a friend of a friend.

Quick Reply: Mechanical BH failure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.