Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fitness/Exercise >

Fitness/Exercise

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fitness/Exercise

Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Fitness/Exercise

I am curious to see what you all do (if anything) to stay in shape, and whether you think it helps your hunting.

I am in college and do a lot of running and lifting weights, so I consider myself a pretty physically fit person. Being young, strong, and flexible helps me with bowhunting. The overall being in shape is nice when I want to hike way back up a ridge a few miles, shoot a monster (havent yet, but will oneday), and drag the big boy back out. I shot a doe last season a few miles out, let me tell you, she must have weighed 400 pounds by the time I got home. Yes, I do feel being physically fit helps the overall hunting experience.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fitness/Exercise

Fitness is important regardless of the hunting thing.

I lift, walk with the little woman, hike with the dog and all around work outside thingy. I hate running. I also take/teach Kung Fu for the mind and body.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I also dont like to run but I do walk alot in the offseason, and I find that the time I spend scouting and putting up stands ,cameras,cutting lanes etc. before season really helps out when it comes time to drag out that monster. (havnt yet either but will someday too.)
Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 PM

I usually do some jogging and some light lifting before my mule deer/elk trip each year.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am a personel Trainer

I also do kickboxing andlift 4 nights a week. Yes it helps
Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

For bow shooting purposes and just everyday fitness, I do pushups and curls regularly. And let me tell you, for anyone who wants to increase your bow pulling strength, DO PUSHUPS. trust me, they help tremendously.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:15 PM

im lucky i pour cconcrete for aliving so i get a work out all summer long. no im not uniun so i do actually work for a living
Old 04-11-2007, 09:25 PM

I like the responses. GERM, I'm very impressed.

I still lift 3-4 days a week, and a couple months before the season get on the stationary bike. I hate to run. At 48 it makes my shins hurt.

I also study Kenpo. It's great for the flexibility and stamina,and if I can't shoot a buck, I can roundhouse kick him.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 PM

You should stay in shape for your health..........benefits to hunting are a bonus.

One thing I add into the gym routine around this time of year (and then again at the end of summer) is grabbing the universal cable and setting it so you can simulate drawing your bow (holding at full draw)..........it really helps strengthen the shoulder girdle up for the abuse it will take all year shooting and at the end of the year towards hunting season it will help you hold longer if need be and be more steady............plus keeping your shoulders in good shape is never a bad idea if you want to shoot and bowhunt for many years to come.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

I shoe horses all day long so im not in the mood to lift weights but i stretch and do 150 to 200 stomach crunches a night. I also bike 4 nights a week plus use the bike for scouting trips. I blew up a knee so running isnt high on my list either.

Bill

Quick Reply: Fitness/Exercise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.