Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Don't ever sell to family or friends! >

Don't ever sell to family or friends!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't ever sell to family or friends!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Don't ever sell to family or friends!

...like you didn't already know that right? Well, here's my story, bear with me as I vent:

A few months ago I was looking to buy my now Vectrix but needed some cash for the purchase. A shop was willing to sell my old 03 Cybertec on consignment andsaid they could get about$400 for it and take a 25% commission. In discussion with a co-worker/friend of mine he showed interest in the bow.A deal was struck and it was agreed the money would be paidin the span of the nextthree bi-weekly paychecks. I'd give him the bow withKing Cobra sight, a stabilizer,Muzzy broadheads, field points, a release andthe bow case for $400. He knew that if he bought a used bow elsewhere, chances are he'd probably just get a bare bow with no extras so the $400 price tag was fair.He also elected to buy my brand new dozen of CX's off me for $90 additional dollars.

Anyhow,every payday(every other friday) I had to ask if he had the money. Of course he forgot but would call me at home later and bring it by or drop it off over the weekend. Neither would always happen. On Monday when I saw him at work, I'd remind him again to bring it the next day. This happened quite a bit. And not to discredit him but once he did pay me on time without me hounding him.

A few times in our interaction at work, he mentioned that he was going to get lighter arrows with a suggestive undertone as if he wanted to return the arrows he got from me. One of those times the conversation ended with him saying "man, my wife said I should've gotten my own lighter arrows." And to that I thought... what the heck does your wife know about lighter arrows and why does she even care? Obviously he was just grabbing at straws.

Well, this passed Friday which was already 5 pay periods, (original agreement being 3) the same thing happened. I was fed up so on Monday when he forgot again I said to him... why does this always happen? I shouldn't have to remind you about what you agreed to. ---and to that he abruptly replies--- "well if you didn't charge me so much" as if he didn't know the terms beforehand. So, I asked if he wanted a price reduction after the fact, and if there was anything elseI could do to be more accomodating to his situation. He said "no, I just wanted to see what you would say." -as if he'd busted me for some injustice and waiting to see what I'd do to remedy the situation. I continued trying to talk to him while hehad his back turned to methe whole time acting too busy to turn my way and not really saying anything. So, I was getting dinked around but he was the apparent victim and needed consolation. Yeah I know, it's friggin retarded.

Now, keep in mind that this is a guy that I gave hundreds of dollars to as a gift to help with his wedding while all others including his family either didn't at all or just gave him a loan. On top of that, I gave him a reliable working car(with signed title)that took him to and from the job that I got him for almost 2 years. I didn't wanna bring that up but it's only to show how forgetful this guy became of the things I did for himin thinking I was trying to do him in or something... which doesn't make sense because people who have your back when nobody else will usually aren't out to do you in.

At any rate, he did feel bad and probably pretty stupidthat nightand brought thefinal paymentthe next day. Although... our previous one way conversation ended with me saying"Don't worry about the $90 because I know you have a wife and kid to feed and $90 shouldn't come between friends of 13 years. Consider it the extra discount I should've given you to begin with." Well, now he became a righteous man and kept insisting I take the money. It went back and forth 3-4 times and in the end I only took $50 and gave him back $40 in good faith and preservation of peace.

So take it as a lesson learned - never sell to family or friends if you don't want to potentially damage the relationship. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Don't ever sell to family or friends!

ya i hate having to deal with friends and family it feels really akward
Old 04-12-2007, 04:04 AM

money ruins everything
Old 04-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Similar experience here, and now I subscribe to the same philosophy.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

My father in law used to say, before you loan or sell something to a friend or relative on time you should ask yourself if you can afford to loose it or them as a friend. LOL Otherwise consider it a gift. If they give it back..fine, you're lucky. LOL
Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep amazing how you go out of your way for true friends and have there backs but it always comes back to bite the nice guy!!! Walt
Old 04-12-2007, 06:40 AM

It's happened to me. No more, Now it's C.O.D.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

My father in law used to say, before you loan or sell something to a friend or relative on time you should ask yourself if you can afford to loose it or them as a friend. LOL Otherwise consider it a gift. If they give it back..fine, you're lucky. LOL
That there is SOUND advice.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoytail,

I'm not surprised. Most people are selfish and greedy. I've lost faith in people.

You gave the guy a heck of deal. He should have paid.

Tom
Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah my bud is mad at me because I wont sell him my old truck. That thing spends all of its time on the side of the road but he wants it. Just trying to stop problems be for they happen.

Quick Reply: Don't ever sell to family or friends!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.