Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where To Aim on a Turkey >

Where To Aim on a Turkey

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where To Aim on a Turkey

Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where To Aim on a Turkey

Ok so this weekend will be my first attempt w/ a bow, i know where to aim w/ a gun, But im not sure im confident enough to try a head shot w/ a bow...

Anybody got a diagram that shows the vitals??

Also, where do you aim??

Thanks,
Ed

Old 04-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where To Aim on a Turkey

I've always been told that the best place to shoot is right above the drumstick. Thats where the vitals are and more than likely you'll break the legs and the turkey won't be able to get away. This is just what I've heard, Im no expert.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

[/align]From our very own website ... HNI
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]Making the Shot

Drawing an arrow on a spooky, sharp-eyed turkey is tough! Pull your bowstring when a bird's head dips behind a tree, rock, fallen log or patch of brush. Or draw when a strutting tom turns away from you and hides his head behind his big fan.

Turkeys are notorious string jumpers, so let them walk within 25 yards before firing. Fifteen- to 20-yard shots are better yet. Remember to look for any arrow-deflecting limbs or saplings that might cause you to miss a bird.

Unless you can shoot like William Tell, don't aim for a turkey's apple-size head. Shoot for the body vitals. When a turkey is facing you, aim for the center of its chest. Shoot for a tom's upper back if he turns and faces away. When a turkey is broadside, place a sight pin on the base of a wing.

Concentrate on a smooth release and follow through. If you see or hear an arrow strike feathers and meat, bolt to the turkey fast. He'll flop and roll around. Anchor him on the spot so he can't run or fly away.

Then let out a war whoop because you've accomplished one of the greatest feats in turkey hunting!
[/align]
Old 04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

I'm no expert either, took my first bird with the bow last year...but I always thought where the wing connects to the body is the best place to anchor them.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

The vitals on a turkey are likely HIGHER on the body than most think. There's a GOOD diagram on the Mathews site.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

On the side view of a strutting tom, you aim for the wing butt (where the wing attaches to the bird) or slightly behind it. IF you take out the wings, he can't fly. Slightly behind the wing butt is where the vitals are, like mentioned above, straight up the legs, above the drumstick. This is where I shot my first KS bird and he couldn't fly, expired in under 40 yards. The second bird I shot was walking away, standing upright, obviously you need to aim about center up his body from the back, I was lucky and took out the heart on that bird, he didn't go 30 yards.

Here's the link to a very good anatomy pic that Jeff mentioned on Mathews site. http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=34266
Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks! Im ready to bust one this weekend, cant wait.... looks like i'll be sitting in the rain though.. be glad to be in my blind
Old 04-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are lots of spots. Above the wing as mentioned, center of the chest (breast meat damage!), directly through the back (spine area) and then also up the bung hole (seriously).

Tom
Old 04-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot them in the hips. I have never lost a bird yet. Break a hip ot leg and they are all done. Cant fly cant run.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as I know, the vitals on a turkey are actualy pretty high and far back. Ive heard of two places other than the head that seems to put them down fast. Right where the wing meets the body, hit that and they are done. Second, wait until they are facing away and shoot them square in the middle of the back, spine and vitals neither are good news for the turkey.

Quick Reply: Where To Aim on a Turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.