HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Without a place to hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/187707-without-place-hunt.html)

Justin 04-09-2007 05:53 PM

Without a place to hunt

Well gentlemen, for the first time in many a year my loyal hunting companion Mr. Dukemichaels and I are without a piece of ground to hunt on for this fall. We did some soul searching over a few delicious beef sandwiches and milkshakes at Arby's this weekend and decided that our lease in East Central IL just wasn't ever going to pan out to be the place we really want, so we're not going to waste our time and money going back this year. It was a tough decision to make, but a necessary one. Much like going to the doctor when that pesky itch you thought was going to go away on its own just never seems to go away. You know what I'm talking about.

So as of this weekend we're officially homeless for this fall. Well, kind of anyways. I'm still hanging onto a piece of ground close to home, unfortunately I don't have much pull with the landowner on other people hutning and I'm not allowed to bring guests, which leaves my wingman on his own. And if Tom Cruise ever taught us anything, it's that knocking someone up will prevent them from leaving you, no matter how crazy you are. Oh, and you never leave your wingman. Ever.

It's a rather euphoric feeling, not having a spot to hunt. I'm a bit apprehensive going into this fall about what's going to happen, but at the same time I'm excited at the possiblities. When one door closes, another always seems to open.

We'll be keeping our eyes and ears open for another lease, but not holding out a lot of hope for finding something "good" within our price range. Read: "not much money". So with that in mind, we'll begin our public land scouting hopefully this weekend, and try to adopt a new run-and-gun type style of hunting.

Wish us luck, we'll need it! :D

hardcorehunter 04-09-2007 05:59 PM

RE: Without a place to hunt

Sorry to hear. I can't relate. My customers actually ask me if I want to hunt their land and give us sole permissionor relatives/or friends of relatives have been pouring out of the woodwork lately offering us more ground to hunt. We are hunting some huge timber tracks in southern IA for turkey this spring that the owners wanted us to come down and hunt. I would never pay for a lease to hunt. What about public land on rivers or lakes thatis accessible only by boat? This is a great way to hunt and to get into great ground too. Good luck.

ash2042 04-09-2007 06:00 PM

Well Justin I wish you the best of luck.

Rob/PA Bowyer 04-09-2007 06:01 PM

Wishing you Luck J....and Mr. dm..

MichaelHunsucker 04-09-2007 06:03 PM

I have had unbelievable luck one some AMAZING deer hunting spots just by going door to door and asking permission. There is so much land out there that goes unhunted each and every year and sometimes all it takes is a knock on the door...good luck!

childers 04-09-2007 06:16 PM

yeah i had no place to hunt but then i found my moms friend and she hates the deer in her yard becuz they always eat her flowers and no matter what kind they are they eat them so she asked me to come and hunt them and they keep coming back and im having fun. thats where i killed my first deer. and all my deer so far. 3 in one season. and i think its pretty good. so if you have any friends witha animal problem do that or i guess find a good wma and use scents and calls

mauser06 04-09-2007 06:18 PM

didnt you guys both take a couple of nice ones this year!??!?!

mfhunter27 04-09-2007 06:28 PM

Sorry man, I know how you feel! I am in the same boat myself!!

Len in Maryland 04-09-2007 06:29 PM

You and your friend are welcome to come to Baltimore to hunt with me and my friends. Of course you may get exposed to some 'Blue Undies' peeking around a tree.;)

We've got a ton of deer here. One property is 20 acres of pasturessurrounded by a 1000 acre State Park. I was over there Saturday walking around and jumpedabout 75+ deer. Therewereseveral piebalds in one herd of25+. Just picked up 75 acres of farmland that is surrounded by houses and public land. The landowner told me that he is tired of the constant increase of roadkills on his property. And we've got several other 'good' spots.

I'm very serious if you want to make a trip to Baltimore. Problem is, you've GOT to shoot some does (landowners' rules).

Good luck in your local search.

wabashbowhunt 04-09-2007 07:18 PM

where in eastern illinois was u hunting?