Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The "growl"

Old 04-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The "growl"

I have heard fawns bleat when they lose sight of their mother. I actually had a doe following me once when I used a fawn bawl in August. She was within 10 yards of us and when we would walk away she followed 10 yards behind.

My buck that I shot this year, my biggest to date, fell thanks to the Can. He was heading away from me, but I got him to turn onto a trail that brought him within shooting distance.

I've also heard tending grunts and chasing grunts in the woods, but have yet to hear a "growl" or "roar." My buddy heard a snort wheeze for the first time last year right before a buck mounted a doe. Pretty cool.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never heard a growl in the wild either. Got to hand it to the boys though, great PR.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

I have never heard a grow in the wild either. Got to hand it to the boys though, great PR.
Rick I have never heard anything grow either in the wild
Old 04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

I will be honest about 2 things here. This past season I pulled a pretty nice 9 pt. off of a hot doe that he was chasing with my Buck Roar and put him in the freezer and on the wall. I mean he left her and came ready to fight. So it did work for me this year.
Now #2, I remember when the Buck Growl first came out and Drury's did a piece on Wildlife Obsession about it. Right after the show I called my buddy and I said " Remember about 5 years ago when Brutas ( a buck we were both after for 2 seasons that was definitely a 180 class buck, that ended up being hit by a semi) made that real loud, deep then higher pitcheddrawn out grunt that I told you about? Well I just heard it on Drury's and they made it into a call."
Honestly, I had heard it this one time, and only once before. Brutas was an amazing buck. He was with a really hot doe, chasing her around right behind my stand right at dark one night. All of a sudden I heard him make a sound that I had never ever heard before, or anything close to it. Right after that 2 other bucks came running in from different directions. I could have shot either of the other 2, but Brutas followed the doe and the closest he got was about 70 yards away. I called my buddy that night and tried to describe what I heard. I never heard anything close to it again until I saw it that night on the show, and it was dejavu' . If I would have never heard it before I would have been really skeptical and figured that it was a marketing ploy. I know a few other long time hunters who also say that they had heard it in the past and recognized it when the call came out.
Do I believe that it is the magic bullet, golden ticket to killing monsters? Nope, not at all. But to me it is like any other technique or tool,( be it calls, rattling, stalking etc.) when used on the right buck at the right time with alot of luck thrown in, it can make one happy bowhunter and put a nice mount on the wall!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

The only thing I have heard growl is my butt, from too much coffee and that long walk in the morning.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good eye GERM . I fixed.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I agree with GMMAT... the deer are more likely to duplicate the sounds that come out of MY can and not Primos.LOL I have however heard fawns bleat and does when being chased etc. But the growl.... NOPE. Been doing this deer stuff for 49 years and not one GROWL.

I have heard an estrous bleat in my yard but never while hunting........sounds EXACTLY like the "can".......only shorter in duration. The estrous cans on the market run too long based on my experience.

I think the growl is a nice grunt call.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

I agree Atlas, I do like the way it sounds as a grunt.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey it works.......

Old 04-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Hey it works.......

Wow, you took that buck by hitting him in the head with the Growl?!?! That is impressive.

Quick Reply: The "growl"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.