Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Tales of the Not So Rich and Famous >

Hunting Tales of the Not So Rich and Famous

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Tales of the Not So Rich and Famous

Old 04-06-2007, 09:15 AM

Default RE: Hunting Tales of the Not So Rich and Famous

Well me and my friends never quit did that with an arrow, but running from bird shot after its shot straight up is kinda pain full!!!!!!!

Diffenetly got a "SIGN" on that one!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

1980 something
I was crusing down the hwy in my skyscraper 4x4 with a homemade tilt trailer in tow, with a honda 110 three wheeler loaded. On the back rack of the three wheeler was strapped a home made hang on stand. It was around Sept. with bow season nearing and i wanted to get this stand hung early. I get to the place i was going and park the truck to unload the three wheeler. There was a guy parked near thathad beendoing some scouting. He came over to talk to me and started talking about the trailer. He liked the fact that it tilted and wanted to see how it worked. NO PROMLEM, I had unloaded the honda a hundred times before, but i did not realize i had parked on a pretty steep hill . I pulled the pin, hopped on, and started rolling backwords. It came a whole lot faster than the first hundred times before. Ipanic'ed and accidently grabbed the rear brake SENDING THE FRONT END TOWARD THE SKY LIKE A ROCKET, and throwing me back landing on the sharpened steel flat strap that was sticking up from the bottom of the stand,([X(]) It ripped two 10" strips in my new tree bark pants (for you Greg H ) cutting both my buttocks pretty bad. The gentleman helped my agonizing self back up and helped me get the honda loaded (god bless him) but i swore i seen him grin a couple times [8D]
I drove home like a wipped pup whinning to my wife, and had to listen to her calling me a dufus. Thats my story and im sticking to it!!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Before we moved rural, we lived in a small Catholic town. The church was at the end of our street. I used to practice in the alley behind our house; "sort of" in the direction of the church. It was right after Thanksgiving and I was going back out after rifle season was over.....nice and cold. So I was practicing in my parka for realistic effect.
I had a bag target with 3 square bales behind it for safety. Police chief had seen it and said no big deal. No problems all year.
The first shot was akward, the 12th shot was rough. The 13th shot, I must have relaxed enough that I accidentally let down the draw. With my glove I punched my release. I had no idea if it went high, right, left or what. It sure wasn't in the target or bales, though. I walked around for 10 or 15 minutes and didn't find the arrow.....oh well. No harm.
Two days later as we were filing into church, I was holding the door for a group of people and my wife went in last. As she did, she glanced around my shoulder and had a look of shock on her face. I turned around and was mortified to see my arrow sticking in Joseph's head in the plastic life sized nativity on the church lawn. Bad memories, man.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

A few seasons ago I put my climber at the base of the tree I'd be hunting out of the next day and locked it. The following morning I travel the 11 miles to my area, walk in to my spot and realize I don't have the key to my cable lock, I had left it at home![:@]I raced home, got the key, raced backand was still in my stand by first light.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

My ribs are hurting from laughing Quit it!!!
ORIGINAL: KS227

Before we moved rural, we lived in a small Catholic town. The church was at the end of our street. I used to practice in the alley behind our house; "sort of" in the direction of the church. It was right after Thanksgiving and I was going back out after rifle season was over.....nice and cold. So I was practicing in my parka for realistic effect.
I had a bag target with 3 square bales behind it for safety. Police chief had seen it and said no big deal. No problems all year.
The first shot was akward, the 12th shot was rough. The 13th shot, I must have relaxed enough that I accidentally let down the draw. With my glove I punched my release. I had no idea if it went high, right, left or what. It sure wasn't in the target or bales, though. I walked around for 10 or 15 minutes and didn't find the arrow.....oh well. No harm.
Two days later as we were filing into church, I was holding the door for a group of people and my wife went in last. As she did, she glanced around my shoulder and had a look of shock on her face. I turned around and was mortified to see my arrow sticking in Joseph's head in the plastic life sized nativity on the church lawn. Bad memories, man.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:24 AM

Shot at my target at 1o yards, first shot of the day. Well not concentrating I used my 20 yard pin instead of 10 and missed my taget. Arrow richoched of a rock wall and flew past the 2 houses behind my target. Worst part of all I was using a broadhead.[]I worry
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Dominant Buck

OK, 3 quick guns stories,...only because they're sort of related.... to my brother that is. The first was when we were in school and trapped rats and mink for spending money, back in the 50s. We had just come in off the trap line and were hurrying to eat breakfast to catch the bus. My brother looks out front and there's a big muskrat paddling across the creek in our direction. He grabs the 22, opens the window by the table, takes steady aim through the scope and fires. The bullet didn't strike rat or water. Instead it ricochetted like a bullet on the wild west movies whang wizz. Not knowing what happened he looked over the gun. the scope had a clear picture of the target. The muzzle on the other hand was right in front of moms pride and joy, a brand new chrome pop up toaster. Only now it had a crease across the corner.

Story 2, my brother has grown up and gotten smarter. He's driving through a series of fields and hedgerows early one summer morning checking on deer and shooting woodchucks. He's in his brand new GMC 4 wheel drive truck with his trusty 223 chuck gun laying on the seat with the muzzle resting on the hump in the floor. He comes through one hedgerow and sees a coyote bookin it through the next hedgerow. He floors his new chuck and closes fast. As he goes into the next field the coyote is half way across really getting it. My brother had already jacked a round in the chamber.In one fluid motion he cramps the truck right to give him a quick exit, slams on the break and reaches for the now loaded gun and the door handle with the other hand as the truck was skidding to a stop. His hand fell perfectly to the trigger housing. As he yanked the gun to jump out he pulled the trigger sending a 223 round through his floor board into his transmission housing of his week old truck. Drove it to the dealer, they checked it all out. Had a nice round hole in the top of the housing but no internal damage. He carved a wooden peg and plugged the hole. It was still in there when he traded in the truck 2 years later. For Xmas we made a large plaque and got a half of a transmission housing at a junk yard. We drilled a nice 1/4 inch hole through it, circled it with red paint and had a plaque ingraved stating the date of the kill attached to it to our big plaque. We gave it to him as a xmas present.

Alas, he did the same thing two trucks later only this time missed the transmission and just poked a hole in the floor board. We all suggested he'd be better served to not load the guns until he got out of the truck.